CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

How do you sell 'em?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Daniel
How do you sell 'em?

I don't know if I'm in the right Forum or not for these questions...

How does one sell baby corns to a 'wholesaler'?

How much does one usually ask for a baby corn snake going to a wholesaler?

How do you find a 'wholesaler'?

How does one ship to a wholesaler...do you need to be a FEDEX Certified shipper, or do you drive to one?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
bitsy
I effectively used to sell wholesale to my local reptile shop. I was fortunate enough to have grown to know them over the years and they were happy to buy all that I bred. That was until this year, when the bottom fell out of the market and they warned me in advance of hatching that they couldn't take any of my hatchlings this year. All the eggs went in the freezer.

Price depends on a) the morph and b) how much the wholesaler can sell it for. You pretty much need to know the going market rate for what you're selling, and negotiate a price based on that. Bear in mind that in wholesaling, your price has to take into account two sets of overheads - those of the wholesaler and the shop(s) they end up selling to. You'll get much less than you would by selling direct.

Obviously I'm in the UK so the comparison isn't direct, but this year I was told that I'd probably not get £5 per Normal when in previous years they've been £8-10. High-end expensive morphs don't seem to be selling at all and some of the lower-end morphs like Caramel Motley and Butter Motley have been oversupplied and are down near £10 each as well.

Sorry I've probably not answered your questions directly, but if you're thinking about getting into breeding, this may be a bad time.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Susan
Wholesale prices are roughly 25% of the retail price, or at least they were about 7 years ago when I sold my last group wholesale. You can easily find someone purchasing wholesale by looking at classified forums. I'm always seeing "Wanted - your entire clutches of ____" ads. I would highly recommend, however, that you do a thorough search of the BOI to make sure who you are selling to is one of the Good Guys.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Daniel
Thanks to you both! I'm not interested in making a living at it, but my son wants to experience the breeding process and I don't want to keep ALL of them when it happens.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Stormy
I would suggest just doing one pair at first. One snake can lay a lot of eggs and if you want to do it for the experience your son can get out of it, this will give you both an idea of how much work just one clutch of eggs is going to be.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google