CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Sooo.....What Are The Rules????

Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
Nanci
You'll notice there aren't many members from New Jersey here...Nate, let me know if you can't figure out where to change your location.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #12
Pal-O-Mine
It seems that Florida is a pretty progressive and herp friendly state when it comes to wild caught. ( That could be a bad thing in some situations. Every sword has 2 edges to cut with! Can you pretty much catch and keep ANY native species of snake in that state?????? Except for the Keys variety.

Devon

Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Nanci
These herps are protected in Florida and you can't have them without a special permit, except you can have only one Florida Pine snake, and you can have all the albino Florida Pines you want. There is a two-animal limit on the Eastern box turtle and sub-species, and they may not be bought or sold.

I think the thing that really burns many snake lovers is we aren't allowed to keep captive-bred Indigos.

And it's a felony for a kid to take home a gopher tort hatchling, but a company can entomb hundreds and merely pay a fine. (Although I believe the regulations on that have gotten stricter in the last couple years).

REPTILES
American alligator
American crocodile
Alligator snapping turtle
Atlantic salt marsh water snake
Barbour’s map turtle
Bluetail mole skink
Eastern indigo snake
Florida brown snake
Florida Key mole skink
Florida pine snake
Florida ribbon snake
Gopher tortoise
Green seaturtle
Hawksbill seaturtle
Kemp’s ridley seaturtle
Key ringneck snake
Leatherback seaturtle
Loggerhead seaturtle
Red rat snake (Lower Keys only)
Rim rock crowned snake
Sand skink
Short-tailed snake
Striped mud turtle (Lower Keys only)
Suwannee cooter

Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Stormy
Some of what Nanci listed are also on the endangered species list so i can see why they cant be kept!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Pal-O-Mine
Still, this is good info to know. You should always know what the state rules are for any kind of pet you're interested in.

Devon

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
Karoni
I did some research before I adopted my first corn snake. I spoke with the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries and was told that you don't need a permit for a corn snake. They said Virginia law states that you can have up to five corn snakes, whether wild or captive bred.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
4riscorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoni View Post
I did some research before I adopted my first corn snake. I spoke with the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries and was told that you don't need a permit for a corn snake. They said Virginia law states that you can have up to five corn snakes, whether wild or captive bred.
That's true. We had to get a permit to keep and breed them once we got past five. Which is when we decided to make this a business so we went ahead and got our business license and Federal ID number. I also know that you have to have a permit to sell anything over 16" in VA and MD I think, since they are native to the state.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google