CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Need Some Advice

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #71
Nanci
Can't you just add in the additional hides?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #72
RoseRed
Yeah I guess I can will do. I was just trying not to stress them out too much by disturbing them, but come to think of it, not having a secure feeling hide is probably just as bad or worse.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #73
RoseRed
How old do you guys think they are? (I know it is almost impossible to tell but might as well ask) The reason I am asking this, is because they are both very tiny. Definitely smaller than Rose Red when she first came to me, who at least weighted 10g. And the female shed yesterday, and the male just got shedding today. Maybe just a coincidence. The seller claimed they had been fed. But I am wondering if they ever have......

Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #74
Chip
My first thought upon seeing this -before the packing, lack of insulation, presence of belly checkers, ...was that those are worms. It really doesn't matter how old they are, they haven't had many meals. Food, not age determines the size of a baby snake, so if no birth day was given, I'd just call their birth day they day they arrived to you and treat them like they just came out of the egg. I really wish you the best.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #75
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
My first thought upon seeing this -before the packing, lack of insulation, presence of belly checkers, ...was that those are worms. It really doesn't matter how old they are, they haven't had many meals. Food, not age determines the size of a baby snake, so if no birth day was given, I'd just call their birth day they day they arrived to you and treat them like they just came out of the egg. I really wish you the best.
I'm with Chip on this One. As I see it, they are Fresh Hatchlings.

Pulling for the Lil' ones!

Old 12-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #76
RoseRed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Is there any advice you can give? My first corn snake Rose Red was an established eater from BHB (at least in the sense she had at least one successful meal, but I believe BHB puts more than one meal in them before shipping them out). I have never ged a non-established feeder. I have 3g pinkies, since the snakes are so tiny I will probably cut the pinky in half for them. (maybe the cut across the whole body so the piece they are getting isn't as wide.)

Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #77
diamondlil
Can you get newborn pinkies (reds)? They usually are 1/2 to 1g and as the name suggests, often bright pink in colour. That would save any need to cut them.
Then I'd suggest you try the boiled pink method a lot of us had success with this year. After you thaw the pinks, you pour boiling water over them and leave for half a minute or so and watch the pinks go pale and rubbery. Then offer them before they cool down too much. I know it sounds odd, but it's worked like a charm for quite difficult feeders and hard-to-start hatchlings

Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #78
MegF.
You should have feed/shed records from the guy. As for size, I've received babies almost a year old still on small pinkies. I don't feed as frequently as most people...certainly not every 5 days...more like 7-10 days do my babies grow more slowly. All cornsnake babies can take day old pinkies soon after hatching. If they are less than 10 grams (I've had some 6 gram hatchlings) I take the front legs off and squish the skull (f/t only of course). They all take them just fine.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #79
beautifullywild77
I know a lot of people have had the best of luck using boiled pinks to feed their babies. I hatched a rescued clutch this year. Six babies. I offered them boiled pinks right off the bat and I didn't have a single one refuse.

I just boil the water and pore it over the pinks in a cup. Let em sit for a few and then fed them right out of the cup.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #80
beautifullywild77
Oh I did use the meal worm containers. They are not see through. That might of helped as well.

I wish you the best of luck with those babies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google