CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Moving snakes to Alaska.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Jessica29
Moving snakes to Alaska.

In 9 months I will be out of the Marine Corp and moving back to Alaska from Twentynine Palms. I own 10 corn snakes and would like to bring them all back with me, so I figured I'd start figuring it out ahead of time. I had a friend bring some of his ball pythons back and said he put them in individual pillow cases and then in an airline safe dog kennel. Even though the airlines keep pets in a climate controlled section of cargo, I fear it would still be to cold. Any one have any experience? Alaska has no regulations against corn snakes, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
ghosthousecorns
I'd feel safer arranging to have them shipped, if I had to move there. I haven't shipped to Alaska but I know other cs members have. Taking them on a plane sounds sketchy to me.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Jessica29
I don't know anyone near me who can ship reptiles.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Alli_Draggy
Could you take them in the cabin with you? I know you can take dogs/cats as long as the carrier is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, and it might be cheaper to even buy a 2nd ticket for your snakes to get the extra carry-on space than to ship 10 of them via Fed ex (assuming that the weather is warm enough in Alaska at the time you're going that they'd be willing to ship there at all-I think I've seen 38 degrees as a lower bound for shipping live animals at all).

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Jessica29
Can't take them in the cabin. And most airlines won't let them in the cargo hold unless its above 45 and under 85 degrees. Alaska would be much colder in September/October.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
beccabozz
I agree with Alli_Draggy. I would look into a way to take them in the cabin with me. If they end up in cargo, there is no telling what conditions they would be in.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
hypnoctopus
Most pet-friendly airlines only allow small dogs and cats to be taken as 'carry-on', so I honestly doubt you'd be able to take them with you in the cabin.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Jessica29
No you can't take them in the cabin. I already checked.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
chris68
You could ship them via SYR just prior to your move, if you had someone on the receiving end who could hold them for you for a couple days.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
The Alaska Snake guy
Wouldn't risk shipping them this time of year. I usually start shipping out and bringing stuff in around May sometimes earlier depending on how fast spring comes. If you can have someone hold onto them for a few months and then have them shipped to you. You wouldn't have anything to worry about then.
Mark

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google