CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Can they see in the dark?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Teatime
Can they see in the dark?

It just occurred to me (after waking up from my nap in the pitch blackness that is my apartment) to find out if corn snakes will do okay in the dark without any sort of lighting. As stated, my apartment gets very dark at night. I could always get Wolfgang a little night-light to help him find his water dish...

Also, this is my first post here after getting my snake! Check out my iHerp page below. He's such a cutie.

http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...nimalID=118409

Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
AliCat37
They rely on smell more than sight.. He doesn't need a light.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
bitsy
As Corns are most active in the wild during times of low or no light (dawn, dusk and overnight), they're absolutely fine in the dark. They use heat sensing for hunting as well as smell and sound.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Mark Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
As Corns are most active in the wild during times of low or no light (dawn, dusk and overnight), they're absolutely fine in the dark. They use heat sensing for hunting as well as smell and sound.
Heat sensing? How do they do that without any heat pits? Pit vipers and some boids use heat sensing but I don't think any colubrids do.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn_Oasis View Post
Heat sensing? How do they do that without any heat pits? Pit vipers and some boids use heat sensing but I don't think any colubrids do.
I thought that too until I got one of my corns. All of mine will eat mice that are room temperature, with the exception of one. If the mouse is not hot, she will slither away. I also have had a few try to bypass the mice and go for my hands, presumably because that's warmer than the mice. I guess what I am try into say is that even though they don't have any heat sensing pits.. They still are able to detect heat.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Mark Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
I thought that too until I got one of my corns. All of mine will eat mice that are room temperature, with the exception of one. If the mouse is not hot, she will slither away. I also have had a few try to bypass the mice and go for my hands, presumably because that's warmer than the mice. I guess what I am try into say is that even though they don't have any heat sensing pits.. They still are able to detect heat.
I believe they can use their Jacobson's organ to smell the different chemicals released from a warm mouse from that of a cold mouse.

In order to sense something an animal must first have a physical sensory organ to detect it. We taste and smell because of the associated sensory buds. We hear because we have ear drums. And reticulated pythons can "see" the infra-red heat of their prey because of their heat pit sensory organs. Corn snakes have no known heat sensory organs except their skin. So, they are no better at detecting heat than we are at detecting hot coffee in a cup before we take a sip.

Corn snakes in the wild track down prey using only their Jacobson's organ. And catch it using a combination of smell and sight. And their smell is so good they really don't even need their sight. When I bring mice into my snake room my corn snakes will become active and are able to smell the mice from more than 20 feet away.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
bitsy
They must have some kind of heat sensing related to feeding - one of the tricks for problem feeders is to super-heat the food you're offering. Doing that would make no difference if they couldn't firstly detect it and then relate it to the specific identification of food. I dont think anyone yet understands why this trick works, but heat can definitely be a factor in them locating and eating prey.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Mark Dwight
Even I can smell the difference between a super-hot pinky and a cold one. But a corn snake is many many times better at detecting the "temperature" of their prey because of the different chemical reactions of heated food. Again this is solely a function of the Jacobson's organ and is chemical detection and not infra-red detection like snakes with heat pits.

The reason corn snakes may eat a super-heated pinky is because it smells better to them....not because they can locate it better than a cold pinky. In fact, if you think about it this is the proof that what I'm saying is correct...heat sensing in snakes is used only for location and is not used to determine what is good or not good to eat. ONLY smell is used to determine what is good to eat...a heated pinky will increase the appetite of baby corns because of its different smell.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
AliCat37
Mine all start coming out of their hides as soon as the freezer opens.. it's in the same room.

Still doesn't explain why they will pass a room temp mouse and go for my hand when feeding.

Not that I am completely disagreeing with you, but I think there may be more to the story.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Mark Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post

Still doesn't explain why they will pass a room temp mouse and go for my hand when feeding.
Because a snake can't tell where a mouse ends and a hand begins. They smell food, they see movement, they strike. It's as simple as that. They will sometimes still try and grab our hands even if the mouse is warmer than room temps or your hand. This is why you shouldn't feed large snakes by hand.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google