CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

am i missing something? (frozen mice)

Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
gypsyrose
am i missing something? (frozen mice)

I hear all the time buying online is soooo much cheaper...well i find it is a lot more expensive.I pay 2.12 for 2 adult mice every week. For 50 mice from places like rodent pro would have cost me 45 dollars plus 70 in shipping. Am i missing a
Cheaper site?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
MindsEyeExotics
To get in cheaper you would have to buy in bulk..many of us need bulk and to pay pet shop prices would be ridiculous..I go through hundreds of rodents every week, so that's where the discount comes in.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Teatime
How many snakes do you have? Buying in *bulk* is cheaper online for many people because they have many snakes. People who have just one or a few snakes (like me) are in the same boat as you. For me, it's much more expensive to pay shipping charges than to just fork over the price of pinkies at my local petstore.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
P.Guttatus
I think the trick is to find an online supplier that is close to you so that shipping costs can be minimized. For people with one one or a few snakes, waiting until their full grown, and no longer switching prey sizes, would make online purchases a better choice. Since mice last quite a while when frozen, I can buy in bulk, pay much less per mouse than a pet store, and have food for years.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Alli_Draggy
Do you have shows near you? I bought several 10 count bags of mice at our last one, for about the cost of buying 10 from the pet store, and they've lasted Wadjet nicely. I don't know that they'll last until May, when the next show is, but it's dropped the cost of having a pet snake quite low.

I haven't yet found a good way to get feeder insects cheaper, though-when I bought in bulk at Repticon, the "small crickets" were escape artists. The cats loved it, because they had lots of insects to stalk and chase, but relatively few made it into frog stomachs. They didn't LOOK smaller than the pet store ones that I'd been buying, but apparently they were.

--Donna

Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
AliCat37
Sounds like you only have two snakes? Those of us with 20+ snakes find it way cheaper to buy online. I'm lucky enough to have a breeder in state that sells mice cheaper (and WAY better quality) than any online source or other source.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
obboi34
expos are great

expos are the best if you have only a few snakes. I bought my all that i needed months ago at 14 cents/mouse and still have enough to go until march if not april.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
dave partington
Expos are great because you might run into a vendor in your local area who has reptile pets, who already purchases in bulk, and may be willing to re-sell smaller quantities to fit your needs. Perhaps there is a zoo, pet rescue, reptile vet, serpentarium, environmental center or similar facility in your area you could contact, and perhaps they could pass along your contact information to someone they know in your area. There are a couple persons in my area that I help out whenever I can.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
WestCoast_Redneck
I actually buy my mice from the breeder we bought our snake from. I think I paid $0.65 for fuzzy mice and $0.87 for rat pinkies. It was less than $15 for a 6 month frozen supply. I would definitely recommend what Dave suggested.
Buying from the petstore is ridiculous, I'm very thankful I have our breeder to go too.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
WestCoast_Redneck
Oops, my math is off. Fuzzies were 38cents.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google