CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Little ones have a new home, but need help with how to transport them

Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
RoseRed
Question Little ones have a new home, but need help with how to transport them

So L1 and L2 have a new home. For those who don't know, they are the two I got that were not hypo plasmas, but lavenders (possibly hypo lavenders) [here's a link to the original thread if you want to know the whole situation http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127318.]

A kid near my home town is willing to have them. The town is only 2 hours away from where I live, so I was thinking that I would transport them by car next time I go down. But first I need some advice.

I am wondering the best way to transport them. They are only small hatchlings at the moment. I was thinking of lining a box with styrofoam and maybe putting in a small heat pack. Or would the heat pack be too much since they will be in a heated car anyways? If I am to use a heat pack what is the best kind? (keep in mind they are only going to be in transport for 2 or so hours, not sending via FedEx or anything).

Thoughts?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
bitsy
Styrofoam lining would be fine and I think you're right that the heat pack is unnecessary for that amount of time. If the car is comfortable for you, then it'll be fine for the snakes but beware of overheating them. Just make sure their tub isn't near a heating vent and they aren't getting a constant direct blast of hot air.

I use an escape-proof tub or tank that I can wedge in the foot space of the rear passenger seats. I pad it out with old towels if necessary, to hold it in place. Another option is to use the seatbelt to hold the travelling tub in place on a seat, but I've found that it slips around a little more with that arrangement. It can also be in the way of heat vents.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
spyderk
When I transported a snake, I put it in the deli cup it came in, lined with paper towel, and put a digital thermometer probe in there. Then I warmed up a towel and loosely wrapped the towel around the deli cup. The temp stayed a consistent 80, granted it was sitting on my heated van seat. I was mostly worried about overheating, which is why I used the thermometer.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
AliCat37
I usually put mine in a cooler. Inside an additional tub or pillow case of course. I'll put some towels inside to keep the containers from moving around, and put just a tiny piece of something in the corner of the cooler lid to make sure they get air flow. If it's really hot or cold, I wrap a water bottle or ice pack with a towel and bring a digital thermometer, just in case.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google