CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

can you post tips on thawing frozen mice

Old 07-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Sean22
can you post tips on thawing frozen mice

like for
pinkies
fuzzies
hoppers
weanlings
adults

Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
babbaloo99
You might be able to do a search on here and read some ways folks do it. I have read that some just thaw the item at room temp and then feel it to make sure it is thawed all the way through. You don't want the guts to still be frozen when you feed it to the snake. Also, I place mine in a ziplock baggie and submerge it in warm water until it is completely thawed. Other folks I believe just submerge the mouse directly into warm water, but some snakes may not like them wet, others take em just fine.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
sdibblee
I submerge the mice/ pinkies in hot water in plastic cups for 5-8 minutes dump the water and refill with hot water for a additional 5 minues . If they are used to dry/pre-killed and not frozen thawed they do seem to be a little finicky at first. The key is to be consistant with how you feed once they get on a feeding schedule.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Alex Dew
I just leave the mice on newspaper onto of one of my fish tanks where it is warm for about 3 hours.

Alex

Old 07-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
leia
I put mine in little ziplock bags and soak it in a mug of hot water until it seems thoroughly warm and smooshy.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Niki_Pixie
I put mine under hot running water until theyre done then i dab them dry with a kitchen paper towl and chuck them at hulky's head (he likes this game, trust me!)

Old 07-04-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Tiffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by leia
I put mine in little ziplock bags and soak it in a mug of hot water until it seems thoroughly warm and smooshy.
When I had snakes, I did the same thing. It worked perfectly, I did it twice though, so they'd be extra warm. Emu and Sessy really liked them like that ^_^

Old 07-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
babbaloo99
I've also heard that some folks defrost them in the microwave, but in the Corn Snake Manual, it referenced the possibility of them exploding, and I am not ready to deal with that yet!

Old 07-04-2004, 07:36 PM   #9
Tiffy
Ack, I've cooked bugs in the microwave before, those things make enough mess, I wont even imagine a mouse exploding..*shudder*

Old 07-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
MegF.
I tried the microwave on thaw and got an explosion anyway. I now thaw them in hot water by putting them in a cup and running hot water on them until they are very warm. I dry the excess water off with a paper towel, and in to orca they go! I've never had either of them refuse the mice thawed this way. Mine prefer them very warm (close to the normal temp of a live mouse which is about 100 degrees F) then luke warm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google