CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn snake costs per year

Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Asher9
Corn snake costs per year

I just did the math for how much it costs to have ONE pet corn for me every year. This just the ongoing costs, not stuff like a tank.

1) Mice. I buy from PetSmart, for me it's ABOUT $15 a month 15x12= $180 per year
2) bedding. I use paper towels, so it would be about $6 a year
3) bulbs for heat lamp $12 each, they last about 6 months so $24 a year.
Let's add random $10 for a new hide or something.

All together, $220

Not too bad. Is it the same give or take for you?

Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
you've got the yearly electricity to run the heat as well which is probably only a few bucks per month. (maybe another 60 bucks yearly). In the event you need a vet, those expenses can be quite high. Anyone who has kept snakes for a long period of time eventually has a vet bill. For me, it's been 3 visits to the vet over the course of 40 years with 5 snakes. (They can get sick just like any animal.)

Old 02-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #3
Asher9
Yeah, I didn't think about that.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
DollysMom
Okay, I'll play. Per month:

Average cost of f/t mouse (inc shipping) $1.08 x 5 = $5.40
Electricity for UTH estimated $5
Aspen substrate at $15 per 24 qts $2.50
Random $10

So that's $22.90 a month and $274.80 a year for me. A bargain at any price

Old 02-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Asher9
Yeah, I think I am closer to that too. I forgot to factor in electricity and vet bills.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
hewettthing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
you've got the yearly electricity to run the heat as well which is probably only a few bucks per month. (maybe another 60 bucks yearly). In the event you need a vet, those expenses can be quite high. Anyone who has kept snakes for a long period of time eventually has a vet bill. For me, it's been 3 visits to the vet over the course of 40 years with 5 snakes. (They can get sick just like any animal.)
In case you want to take your corn snake to the vet for a check up how much would you believe it would cost just for them to see the snake ? I understand every place may charge different prices but just the price range
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher9 View Post
I just did the math for how much it costs to have ONE pet corn for me every year. This just the ongoing costs, not stuff like a tank.

1) Mice. I buy from PetSmart, for me it's ABOUT $15 a month 15x12= $180 per year
2) bedding. I use paper towels, so it would be about $6 a year
3) bulbs for heat lamp $12 each, they last about 6 months so $24 a year.
Let's add random $10 for a new hide or something.

All together, $220

Not too bad. Is it the same give or take for you?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Old 02-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
DollysMom
I didn't figure vet bills in my monthly/annual budget either, but I'm aware of that responsibility and have savings for things like that. If need be, though I avoid debt, I would incur debt to provide vet care. At this point that's unlikely, but nothing in life is certain.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
sian.kelly
I think a vet visit in Scotland would probably cost me around £50-£100 for just a check up/diagnose and then probably quite a lot for treatment if anything was needed. I mean, it costs a lot for my dogs to go to the vet so I'm assuming snake prices are gonna be higher because there are a lot less herp vets around.
I think my annual costs will be probably be around the same as everyone elses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
DollysMom
I forgot to give my vet trip cost guess. Just for a basic trip, $100 to $200 US.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
Karl_Mcknight
Here is my area, there is an exotic vet right across the street from the zoo. They treat a lot of the zoo animals and are very well informed and trained with reptiles as well. While all vets I assume have some training, I would guess many of them never even see a snake as most folks have dogs and cats. It's good to know that there at least are some vets that are specific to snakes. Of course they tend to charge a bit higher as well.

I had a female boa 20 years ago with a respiratory infection. She required 2 vet visits and 2 shots. And best I can recall each treatment was 70 bucks. And this was 20 years ago.

I've not had to carry a snake to a vet lately, but if I do, I will go back to the same place.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google