CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

My cornsnake is having some problems

Old 03-03-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Ember
My cornsnake is having some problems

My corn snake is about a year and two months as of now. She is honestly the sweetest girl, but she is VERY fearful. I just don't know why though! I have always handled her gently and fed her and made sure she was being well cared for. This all started a little while ago and it is just really odd. She just trys to hide or strike or get away as she seems to CONSTANTLY be afraid. It really breaks my heart and I just don't know what to do!! I also feel that it may be my other pets. I have cats and dogs and small animals (marsupials so no it isn't a feeding response as they don't have a rodent smell). I just really dont know what to do for her!!!! I feel maybe I need to rehome her so she can get better care with someone who can pay her more attention and give her a better life. I just feel terrible!!! I don't want to rehome her, but I fear that she is not happy with her life right now. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #2
mishima25
Your snake seems to feel insecure in her cage. Tell us a bit more about the setup.
Is the snake in a quiet room, or is she in one with a lot of transit? Try moving her to a calmer one.
Do you have something that produces vibrations to the cage? I.e. next to a radio, high volume music, construction spot?
Also, don't let the other animals in that room, specially cats, since they tend to climb the cage or stare at the snake and she'll probably feel predated.
What are your temps and humidity? This can also cause the snakes to be nippy.
Does she have enough hides and ground cover? You can try adding some vines to the floor or another cave, or cover one or more of the sides of the vivarium if it's glass.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
DLena
Could you post a picture of her viv? And I have a few questions: Can you narrow down when the behavior pattern shifted? Is it becoming worse or holding steady? Was anything changed with the tank? The way you feed her or what you feed her (size change or brand) About you: Since you handle regularly, have you changed your soap, shampoo, detergent or fabric softener? Do you use any lotions or have you changed them? There are a lot of people here who can really help.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Ember
I cant get a picture right now but I can describe her setup. She is in a viv that is long enough for her to stretch her body length out. She has a really nice hide and is on aspen bedding. She doesn't really ever use the hide though. She usually just curls up around this fake plant that I have in her viv. The temp is at a mostly steady level of about 75 to 84 degrees although it does get hot sometimes. Fo humidity the hygrometer is broken but the room is overall usually at about 18 percent. She isn't by anything that loud other than a small tv, but that usually never gets used. My cats and dogs dont go in the room at all because I keep my sugar gliders in that room as well. I am starting to feel that that is what is stressing her out now. When they were younger they didn't have as much of a smell(their scent glands hadn't developed as much) and I think that since the cage has been moved closer to hers and they have grown older, that may be the cause of aggression. I am also afraid as she is a little behind on the growing curve. She is about a year and two months yet she's just barely a foot long. I feel like she is a little to small as well, but I feel it is related to stress. I used to keep her in a room where no other animals are at and is nice and quiet and slightly cooler. I think i may need to move her back to that room instead. Also, when I handle her I rinse my hands thoroughly and I use the same detergent and i try to use unscented stuff when i am getting ready to handle her so it doesn't freak her out.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Asher9
I doubt this is why your snake is acting up, but 18% is very low for a corn. I would aim for more like 30%

Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Ember
Alright Ill try to raise the humidity, but I just cant tell because my hygrometer is acting up. I spent like 35 bucks on that thing and it isn't working,but ill spritz the cage down a little more and try to find a new hygrometer. Thank you all so much for your help. Ill definitely try these things.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
DLena
Since the only changes are due to relocating the cage, I suggest you put the cage back into its original location if at all possible. Snakes are very aware of scent changes, and the musky scent of the sugar gliders, while not rodent/food could still be forcing her into a heightened state of awareness... Getting on her nerves so to speak. That would account for her increasing aggression. About her size, how much does she weigh? And how much/how often is she fed?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Ember
I am planning to move her back to her origninal spot today and she also gets fed every 5 to 6 days. She also weighs only about 45 grams so im not sure if that is normal for a yearling or if she is falling behind. She gets two medium sized pinkies each time she gets fed as well.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
DollysMom
One reason she is smaller side is that she's still on pinkies. Feed her a few 5 gram fuzzies and then move her up to 7 gram fuzzies.

Every 5 to 6 days is fine.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Ember
Thank you so much for the help. We tried to do fuzzies before and she had a hard time getting them down, but I bought those from the pet store and probably wound up with the biggest fuzzie possible. I know of another supplier so I will try to get some fuzzies from her. Again thank you so much for the help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google