CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How long to wait before removing from feed box

Old 12-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
amandac
Question How long to wait before removing from feed box

I'm getting a baby corn snake soon (as my Christmas present, but we're waiting until we get back from a trip). For those of you who use feed boxes, how long do you wait before putting the snake back into their viv, and what have you found to be the best strategy to get them back? Thanks!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Scrappyeddie77
I sit and watch them. I just think that it is amazing to watch a little snake eat and how sometimes they will yawn after they are done. I wait until the mouse is down all the way which is about half the length of the snake. And then I just pick the snake up in front of the mouse and put it back in its viv. No playing with it just a pick up and move. Not fast or anything but nice and easy. Of course I only have 3 little ones. One of them was a little shy at the first two feedings but she now knows that the tubs mean food and she waits there for it. And if I am a little slow getting the pinky she gives me the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
Zincubus
Any reasons why you guys feed in a separate container !?

Why not simply feed in their vivs ??

Supposedly we're not supposed to handle for 36 hours to 2 days after feeding anyways - how do you get them back into their vivs afterwards and are they not in 'feeding mode' ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Nanci
I wait till after the mouse is all the way down, and the snake has adjusted their jaw back into normal alignment. A couple minutes.

With older snakes, I may wait a bit longer to let them get out of feeding mode (I just have a couple that will bite) or I may just "pour" them directly from the feeding bin into their vivs.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I wait till after the mouse is all the way down, and the snake has adjusted their jaw back into normal alignment. A couple minutes.

With older snakes, I may wait a bit longer to let them get out of feeding mode (I just have a couple that will bite) or I may just "pour" them directly from the feeding bin into their vivs.
Yup, same here. Rufus has "That Look" after eating a mouse, and he''s still in feeding mode for several minutes after.

I usually just keep an eye on him, and he will eventually crawl out of the feed box on his own. Once he's out of the feed box he's pretty much calmed down and back to his sweet normal way and I can just pick him up at that point and carry him back to his home with no issues.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Scrappyeddie77
Just my opinion is that if you feed in their viv they tend to be more cage aggressive. I have tried both ways and the ones that I feed outside their viv are more chilled than the others. And I have not had any regurgs doing it the way I do it. When you take them out of the feeding box you are not playing with them or inspecting them you are simply moving them from one box to their viv.
I do have some well trained snakes lol I don't even use the tops of the feeding boxes and they don't try to climb out. I have my little ones on a 5 day schedule. Which gives me 3 days to handle them.
And a snake is always in a feeding mode you could feed every day if you wanted to power feed one but it is not good for the snake and it does shorten their life. Their body gets big and their insides are not able to keep up with their body. I think a lot of ball python breeders will power feed to get their snakes to breeding size. Which I understand why because that is a job and not a hobby and of course it pays for them to put out the newest morphs the fastest way to get the top dollar. I don't agree with it but I am not here to get rich off snakes I just love them and have always been that way. I still here stories about my first snake that I caught when I was 5. I have been lucky enough to have grown up in Florida where we have snakes every where. Sorry I went on there. But just my opinion do what works for you and always have fun with your snake and love them for their personalities all of mine have their own.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
Just my opinion is that if you feed in their viv they tend to be more cage aggressive. I have tried both ways and the ones that I feed outside their viv are more chilled than the others. And I have not had any regurgs doing it the way I do it. When you take them out of the feeding box you are not playing with them or inspecting them you are simply moving them from one box to their viv.
I do have some well trained snakes lol I don't even use the tops of the feeding boxes and they don't try to climb out. I have my little ones on a 5 day schedule. Which gives me 3 days to handle them.
And a snake is always in a feeding mode you could feed every day if you wanted to power feed one but it is not good for the snake and it does shorten their life. Their body gets big and their insides are not able to keep up with their body. I think a lot of ball python breeders will power feed to get their snakes to breeding size. Which I understand why because that is a job and not a hobby and of course it pays for them to put out the newest morphs the fastest way to get the top dollar. I don't agree with it but I am not here to get rich off snakes I just love them and have always been that way. I still here stories about my first snake that I caught when I was 5. I have been lucky enough to have grown up in Florida where we have snakes every where. Sorry I went on there. But just my opinion do what works for you and always have fun with your snake and love them for their personalities all of mine have their own.

That is false about them becoming cage aggressive if fed in their viv.
I have fed in enclosures since I started keeping snakes. I keep Cornsnakes, Kingsnakes, Carpet Pythons (IJ's, Coastals, Jungles, etc), GTP, and I fostered an ATB for awhile.
None became more aggressive due to feeding in their enclosure.
They become more adapted to handling, whether that is for feeding, cage cleaning, weighing, or just to handle them.

It boils down to what works best for you.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post

You make an awful lot of sense although I don't necessarily agree with the theory that feeding in their vivs makes them cage aggressive / territorial / defensive at all .

I have twenty snakes .... Ranging from a 7' adult Snow Boa through to some yearling Kingsnakes (with a Burm , a Retic , a Corn snake , Royals , Rat snakes and a Garter inbetween) and I'd never even try moving the Boa , the Burm , the Retic OR any of the King snakes after a feed - it wouldn't be safe for ME !

They all get handled fairly regularly ( when there's no scent of food in the air , of course ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Scrappyeddie77
I understand your opinion Zincubus and I have had a lot of snakes and I had a few boas too and yes I feed them in their viv but when you are dealing with a snake that is 10' there is not a lot of options. My opinion might have some flaws in it. When I was little the frozen mice or rats was not an option. And yes I always would pre kill but I wonder if that had any effect on my findings. Nowadays you can get frozen feeders anywhere it seems. And I do like the ease of getting 100 - 200 mice at a time and not having to feed or take care of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google