CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

The very latest day for successful breeding?

Old 06-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Seriva Senkalora
The very latest day for successful breeding?

Hello,

I have a virgin female which was in the mood of producing eggs. I waited for her to resorb instead of giving me a clutch of slugs. But well, she didn't want to resorb and I decided to introduce her to a male after she had shed.

Only a week after the first and only mating in her life, she surprised me with a clutch! Out of eleven eggs at least seven look fertile (candled them to look for veins). And yes, the two she is cohabited with are also 100% females, as both are full with eggs, too... Stupid ladies!

So the eggs have been fertilizied after the pre-lay shed.

Until now the shortest time between a mating and a good clutch I've seen, was one of my other females laying perfect eggs 21 days after mating some years ago and this was already late. But this time it took the female only eight days!

Has anybody else ever noticed something similar?

Cheers,
Seriva

Old 06-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
Seriva Senkalora
PS and sorry for double posting:

I know they can produce fertile eggs on their own due to parthenogenesis. This has happened to one of my other females a few years ago but none of the eggs survived - but they all had dead snakes in them.

Time will tell if this is the reason for the good eggs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google