CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dead or Alive

Old 10-01-2021, 12:15 AM   #1
Tosh F
Dead or Alive

We have a 9 month old albino corn that has just BARELY learned to complete a shed all by herself... we thought. I guess the coloring kept us from realizing she had left overs on her tip Maybe about a half a centimeters worth. Just strangling the life out if her poor little tail. Probably 3 weeks before I noticed so I immediately got to work and freed the tail from the sheds grip and the more tail I exposed I would notice it would start to plump up a tiny bit. It's still shriveled and sad looking... but not black like most of the horror stories i read in my frantic Google search to find out if the tail was gonna make it. It's much darker in color than the rest of her beautiful body but not black. More like partial deep red color. There was no blood loss during the removal. I worked quick but was gentle. Wondering if there's anyone that reads these long winded posts like mine and if they think this tail has a chance?!

Old 10-01-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Tosh F
Just to add... shes kind of a friendly snake as far as snakes go. She's not a striker. She's not lost appetite ever. And her problem shedding was a codependency. She preferred using our hands as her shed tools during her "time of the month" we call it. She has all the right tools in her snake manor but would just smack her face on the glass every now and then like that would somehow do the trick... we thought it might be a short bus issue... but realized by chance she was just extra and preferred a handy. Now she has learned to use the things around her to shed but I guess the tip is still a challenge.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:46 AM   #3
hypnoctopus
Can you post a picture of it?

Old 10-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
Tosh F
I will see if i can talk her into a photo... she just ate last night after i removed the shed so didnt want to mess with her ona full stomach.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
Oh yeah, definitely give her a full 48 hours before messing with her.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
Tosh F
Got one in the tank then she wanted to climb so wound up in my hand anyways.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #7
Tosh F
Close up behind glass

Resolution might be choppy.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #8
Tosh F
Not behind the glass

Old 10-02-2021, 02:46 AM   #9
hypnoctopus
Hmm, yeah definitely looks pinched, but not black yet. For now all I think you can do is keep an eye on it and assist with sheds as needed. If she does lose it, it should be okay.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Tosh F
Thank you for your time. First snake and was a gift for my daughter. Never thought I'd be a snake person but I love her to pieces and I'm upset for not paying attention to her tail. Hate that I learned the hard way here. She's so beautiful and perfect and I just can't imagine her without her little tippy tail.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google