CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

pinkies

Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
corn_mania
pinkies

Can newborn pinkies go straight to the freezer or would that be inhumane? If not how can I kill them without being inhumane without using dry ice method.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn_mania
Can newborn pinkies go straight to the freezer
yes they can. When they stat haveing "fur" is when you switch.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
cncslick
no no no do don't put them in the freezer alive!!!!!! that is very inhumane. it will take them hours to freeze to death. to kill pinkies without dry ice method crush their head between your thumb and pointer finger toward their body so that the brain is completely crushed and is pushed into the neck. may get a little messy until you get it right but please don't freeze them alive.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
simple_minded
If they're newborn I think it's alright to freeze them. What I do is I prefreeze a cup of water so it's very cold, but has not yet become ice. Then I take an icetray, fill each block 2/3 with the ice water, and drop the pinks in there. The reason why I use ice water is because it freezes them a lot faster than if you just put them in the freezer. This way they're usually dead within 20-30 seconds.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
corn_mania
I don't even have colony yet just making sure. I think that is a little too messy. Does the stun method put them in paper bag and slam against the wall work better?

Old 10-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
cornsnakekid92
well i dont know why it would take hours for some people? I alwasy put my pinkies right in the freezer, 5 minutes later they are gone!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
cncslick
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_minded
If they're newborn I think it's alright to freeze them. What I do is I prefreeze a cup of water so it's very cold, but has not yet become ice. Then I take an icetray, fill each block 2/3 with the ice water, and drop the pinks in there. The reason why I use ice water is because it freezes them a lot faster than if you just put them in the freezer. This way they're usually dead within 20-30 seconds.
that is not true. that will most likely drown then before freezing them. which is also very inhumane. u don't just freeze 1, 2 , 3. mice are warm blooded animals. their high body temp will keep them alive for a least a few hours. the putting them in water freezes them faster cause they propally drown first. water even very cold water still takes a while to freeze. both drowning and freezing alive are very inhumane ways to kill them. just crush their head first, it only takes a split second and if done right theres little to no blood.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Atitlan
Well I´m not sure which is the best way to do it but the less the animal suffer is better here is a link that you can check it seems like a good idea.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
cncslick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atitlan
Well I´m not sure which is the best way to do it but the less the animal suffer is better here is a link that you can check it seems like a good idea.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/
i agree. and crushing the brain is instint death

Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
PnyKlr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncslick
that is not true. that will most likely drown then before freezing them. which is also very inhumane. u don't just freeze 1, 2 , 3. mice are warm blooded animals. their high body temp will keep them alive for a least a few hours. the putting them in water freezes them faster cause they propally drown first. water even very cold water still takes a while to freeze. both drowning and freezing alive are very inhumane ways to kill them. just crush their head first, it only takes a split second and if done right theres little to no blood.

It would only take a human about an hour to die of hypothermia in 0C water, so I would say that a teeny newborn mouse without fur will die quite quickly from exposure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google