CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

i dont know if i can

Old 10-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
knapman
i dont know if i can

hey i am thinking about getting a corn snake. The only problem is feeding them mice. i dont know if i could do this. my firend has a ball python and he breaks there necks. i know im soft but is there any thing else u could feed them or what should i do?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
GHostCornSnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapman
hey i am thinking about getting a corn snake. The only problem is feeding them mice. i dont know if i could do this. my firend has a ball python and he breaks there necks. i know im soft but is there any thing else u could feed them or what should i do?
if you cant stomach them killing it..buying them frozen/thawed out already dead ones.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
knapman
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHostCornSnake
if you cant stomach them killing it..buying them frozen/thawed out already dead ones.
so u can by frozen ones.. are they much more $$$ and do snakes react the same to them?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Paradox
Most snakes will react the same way to f/t (Freeze/thaw) mice as they would to live ones. The cost can vary, but is much more affordable than cat food I can tell you You can buy them from pet stores, or over the internet.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Jcapicy
F/T Mice

I plan on going this route just to save trips to my Local Pet Shop and everyone has there way about it. some people will put them in the microwave for a few seconds, some people will move them a bit, if you start them young you should have no prob and they are about the same as live, i plan on starting with frozen thawed when i get to peach fuzz of hopper mice. you might also try chilling at you LPStore and having an employee show you how they do it as sometimes seeing is easier than reading.

Nice thing about Frozen/Thawed is you can buy a few at the time and keep them in the freezer so you always have them on hand, i plan to still buy pinkies from time to time as a snack.

remember its more the odor in the air and the temp of the food that snakes go for as snakes do not have taste buds.

Best of luck.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
knapman
i thank both of you

Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
dwilliamsmms
I also go the frozen/thawed route. I've never had a snake refuse them. I tried raising mice once and couldn't stand the smell. I now order mine off the internet. They are also available at most pet stores now.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
~slither~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcapicy
some people will put them in the microwave for a few seconds
I don't know if you mean to thaw them out or kill them, but people actually put mice in the micro???? I'm not saying that you do, but whoever you've heard does that needs shooting. Cooked food aint good for sankys, and if it's to kill them then thats a terrible way to die.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
cornspot
I have loved reptiles for as long as I canremember. I never got a snake b/c I didn't think I could feed it. Then i learned you could buy them already dead (& frozen). So I did my research & decided a corn was the best first snake. Now I have over 20! (I buy bulk frozen) and i LOVE watching them eat--sill facinated after several years and hundreds of feedings.

As far as cost, mice plus shipping is about half what my petstore charges (b/c they have to pay for mice plus shipping plus make a profit)

I used to store in vaccuum sealed plastic & place in a paper bag in the main freezer. Now I have a separate pet freezer for all the pet food (most of them eat a fresh food diet); it just wouldn't all fit in "my" freezer.

I say take the plunge--you'll be glad you did!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornspot
I have loved reptiles for as long as I canremember. I never got a snake b/c I didn't think I could feed it. Then i learned you could buy them already dead (& frozen). So I did my research & decided a corn was the best first snake. Now I have over 20! (I buy bulk frozen) and i LOVE watching them eat--sill facinated after several years and hundreds of feedings.

As far as cost, mice plus shipping is about half what my petstore charges (b/c they have to pay for mice plus shipping plus make a profit)

I used to store in vaccuum sealed plastic & place in a paper bag in the main freezer. Now I have a separate pet freezer for all the pet food (most of them eat a fresh food diet); it just wouldn't all fit in "my" freezer.

I say take the plunge--you'll be glad you did!
A word of caution about "the plunge". Not all corns will accept f/t. Yeah, 99% of them will eventually take them, but I've had a number of them that have required live for extended periods of time. The more snakes you own, the greater the chances that you will run into this situation at some point...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google