CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

A Little Concerned...

Old 12-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
KaylaEliuk
A Little Concerned...

I noticed during feeding on Thursday (I feed in a separate container) that my Anery Corn's tongue was a kind of blackish/dark red color. Previously, it has been pink. He didn't even seem to notice the mouse, though he was active, alert, and flicking his tongue constantly. He seemed fine. I had to stab holes in the mouse's head and body for him to notice it, and even then he didn't strike or throw coils like usual, but started eating it while it was on the tongs. I let it go and put the lid on the container and he ate just fine after that.

I used a credit card to get his mouth open today, and while his tongue is still that odd color, his mouth looks fine otherwise.
His hot side temp is always around 86F, and his cool side is around 70-75 (my room temp varies). He is on aspen, has a ton of hides, always has water, and weighed in at 124g right before I fed him.

He seems perfectly healthy otherwise, perky and alert, his eyes and nose are clear, can't hear any kind of wheezing or funny breathing noises, and he breathes with his mouth closed.

I am not sure if this is just a coloring thing that aneries get when they age, but I thought I would ask and provide as much info as I could just in case. If I left anything out, let me know.
I would appreciate any answers, and if I'm all worried over nothing, feel free to laugh at me (;

Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Ravenessa
I googled it and it seems like you are not the only one with a changed tongue... It would link to another forum not sure that is allowed but it seems like it can both vary and change... The experts will likely know more and don't feel stupid, most pet owners wouldn't even notice the difference.. so even if this is nothing to be worried about to notice such details can one day be the life saving thing for your snake <3

Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
KaylaEliuk
I googled it as well and figured it may just be additional color development, since he isn't done growing yet, but they're our babies, right? Him also not wanting to take the mouse made me a little worried, since from the day I got him, he has been a voracious little eater, with one helluva strike. At least once a month he strikes and throws coils so hard that the tail of the mouse is left between the tongs, ripped off! haha

Old 12-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
Ravenessa
He may also be calming down.. ? and yeah I would suspect color change, but again keep an eye out and wait for the experts. I am not one at this point...

But about the coil, my amel that I wrote about in the behavioral part coiled the first times, he was also on average more jumpy, hiding, this time he ignored the mouse and was checking me out, I put the mouse down, and he just started swallowing it right in front of me. Previously he has always been hiding.. So in his case I know it is that he's relaxing more.. Might be similar? just a thought not a guarantee...

Old 12-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
Ravenessa
and yes they are our babies, I check on mine two times a day and spot clean morning and evening... just to ensure they are all ok.. <3 you are a good momma!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Rigby & Marcy
My anery has a black tongue. If he is a boy, and not knowing how old he is, he might be starting to feel the spring breeding season already. My Rigby went off food for weeks last spring. Now this year, his last feeding on the 25th I already noticed that he slithered past the mouse 5 times before he ate. My snakes all have an occasional unenthusiastic feeding though so maybe it's just that.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Nanci
The tongue usually matches the body color.

How often are you feeding him?

Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
KaylaEliuk
Thanks so much for the input guys! I appreciate it

Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
KaylaEliuk
Sorry, we posted at the same time. I feed and weigh both him and my BP every Thursday. And I got him last February as a wee baby. He was also undersized when I got him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google