CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Size of Tank

Old 06-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Paradox
Size of Tank

I am getting a corn some time soon, and have decided to buy a large tank to start rather than buy a small one then move him. But I am wondering if it might be a bit too big? I haven't got it yet, so there is room for manouver.

Have looked at a few. There is a tank in the local pet shop that is about 66 gallons, but costs a rather large amount at £120. On the net however I have found a 90.4 gallon tank for only £102. (If you don't work in £ can't help you much lol). So I am obviously going to go for that one. But would it be too big for a baby? And if so, what can I do? I don't really want to get more than one viv to start, or replace a small one later on...

Old 06-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Tula_Montage
To be honest you really dont need 90 or so gallons... A 20 gallon viv would do an adult corn its full life..

But if you do decided to get the unnecessary 90G then you will need to pack it with hides galore, especially for a hatchling, Otherwise the snake may get stressed, thus leading to health problems further down the line.

Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
CAS 28
You could buy a sweaterbox and start your snake out in there.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Paradox
I personally think 20 gallons is way too small...Can't see an adult snake in that sort of tank...

An idea-would it be possible to stick some sort of divide in to start it off? Maybe restrict it to say half/quarter of the tank for a while? If so, what to use, and where to get it from? As for sweaterbox idea, it's an option

Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
kimbyra
IMO, a 20 gallon is too small for an adult. I had an adult in a 55 gallon wide, and I think that it was too small for him to be comfortable. A 90 gallon certainly wouldn't be "unnecessary", a corn would LOVE it.
However, since 10 gallons are so cheap, it might be good to get one until he outgrows it, and then purchase a bigger one. A baby corn would be much more comfortable in a small tank. Just a thought.
Also, you might want to check out shipping costs for the online tank. Tanks are heavy, so it may be cheaper to purchase one from a store.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
kimbyra
Also, from what I've seen, divider tend to not keep dividing; corns are good at climbing and burrowing, and squeezing through small areas. It depends on how you construct one I suppose.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Wilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
To be honest you really dont need 90 or so gallons... A 20 gallon viv would do an adult corn its full life..
That actually depends, as not all snakes will top out at the same size. Just ask Meg, whose massive amel who would be cramped in a 20 gallon tank!

With some exceptions, bigger is better for adults. If you have the space to give your pet snake some room to roam and climb in a large viv, go for it. While it's a baby, though, you will want to keep it in something smaller. A plastic shoe box works fine, as does a 10 gallon tank. If you start out with the shoe box you can always use that as a feeding container later when the snake has moved up to its permanent home.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder
That actually depends, as not all snakes will top out at the same size. Just ask Meg, whose massive amel who would be cramped in a 20 gallon tank!

With some exceptions, bigger is better for adults. If you have the space to give your pet snake some room to roam and climb in a large viv, go for it. While it's a baby, though, you will want to keep it in something smaller. A plastic shoe box works fine, as does a 10 gallon tank. If you start out with the shoe box you can always use that as a feeding container later when the snake has moved up to its permanent home.
Very true, It works for some, not for others...

Old 06-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
Cycal
Remember, its not a standard 20g tank thats usualy recomended, its a 20g "long" tank (sometimes called a breeder tank). Its got about the same amount of surface space as a standard 40g.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Tula_Montage
Aye aye thats what i meant... I thought it went without saying, my mistake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google