CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

two corns

Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
maegann
Red face two corns

how much harder is it to take care of two snakes instead of one? my mom says I should wait till my five month old becomes full grown, but i want to get another corn in daytona in august. any advice??

Old 05-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
BeckyG
It isn't really all that hard. Just thaw two mice instead of one, clean two cages instead of one, handle two snake instead of one...you get the idea.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
danigurrl
I don't believe it'd be difficult? As long as you have the space for 2 enclosures; the smaller enclosures for the hatchings, then you also need to make sure you have space for the larger enclosures when they are full grown.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
kimbyra
But watch out.... Its so easy to get a third, then a fourth, then a couple more... It gets hard to care of them and spend quality time with each one at about ten. I am WAY past that, so I'm giving up any hope of a social life.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
danigurrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbyra
But watch out.... Its so easy to get a third, then a fourth, then a couple more... It gets hard to care of them and spend quality time with each one at about ten. I am WAY past that, so I'm giving up any hope of a social life.
LoL YESSS< its so addicting. I have 3 corns (one if kind of a foster child deal), a ribbon, and a python. So I'm up to five snakes at the moment...I need to stop!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbyra
I agree completely. Two are almost as easy to care for as one; three are almost as easy as two; and four are almost as easy as three. But forty are not as easy to take care of as four.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
PnyKlr
Easy to get addicted? Pfft, I don't know what any of you are talking about. I only have two, and I don't even feel the need for more...as long as you don't count the holdbacks from a potential breeding project, that is.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
dwyn127
I went from 1 to 5 with one swipe and it doesn't feel like more work to me. With an animal that only needs attended to once a week it's not a big deal. I keep them on different feed schedules so I have a snake that can be handled 7 days a week if I want to.

Ask me this same question in August when my 1st ever clutch hatches and I add 22 snakes overnight. I'll probably be singing a different tune.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
MegF.
8 is not too bad. As long as 2 or more are chondros. They are waaaay easier to feed and take a lot less time!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
ghosthousecorns
2 snakes are not that much harder to care for, but I think it also depends if you consider cleaning the cages etc. as 'work'.
Work to me involves being outside, getting all dirty, sweaty, and tired. Taking out my snakes, interacting with them, cleaning their cages, that's what I do for fun lol, it helps me unwind.
I try to keep my collection 'small' so it won't get overwhelming. When hatchlings come along I do spend a lot more time on them getting them to eat etc, but it's worth the time I spend working with them to me. I could see how having dozens of snakes it would become a chore though, so right now I have 9. Of course there will be keepers soon I hope, but I do want to set an upper limit and stick to it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google