CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dry Scales?

Old 03-23-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
project1
Question Dry Scales?

The 3 rows of scales right under my little guy's head are all dried out. What does this mean? When I put him on a surface like carpet it seems like it catches and he can't move.. should I get some vasaline or something to get some moisture back into them? or are their neck scales usually dry?

Old 03-24-2004, 05:57 AM   #2
CornCrazy
Could it be retained skin from his last shed??

Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
project1
well, I checked in on him at around midnight last night and he was gone .. poor little guy. I had him for only around 5 days! I knew something was wrong when I found the dry scales on his neck and he wasn't quite as active. All his temps were perfect, he had fresh water everyday, he was on paper towel... the only thing it could have been was stress, but he ate fine a few days earlier and didn't regurgitate anything!.... Anybody have any idea what it could have been? I'm going to talk to the guy I got him from.. I don't think within 5 days he could have died from anything I had done....

Old 03-24-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
CornCrazy
I am sorry for your loss. I hope you can work out something with the person who sold him to you. Was this the same snake that had the mites? If so, what did you end up treating him with?

Old 03-25-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
project1
I used the NIX Treatment... I didn't spray it in the tank his in now (I got the two mixed up and put my crix for my geckos in the nix tank.. wiped em all out..)... but no nix in the snake tank.. the mites were pretty much gone anyway. I didn't get a chance to use the nix (on him.. or the tank he was in)

Old 03-25-2004, 06:08 AM   #6
CornCrazy
I guess the mites and the stress of being in a new home did it, then. I am sorry for your loss...

Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
project1
Guess so, but if he was THAT stressed wouldn't he have regurgitated his food? I noticed that he had become very lathargic that day and didn't want any food, aswell as those dry scales on his neck. I had a feeling something was wrong, guess I was right.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
CornCrazy
Not necessarily...he may have been too weak to regurgitate.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:47 PM   #9
ronlina
The same thing happened to me with my first corn - i took care of it perfectly, i tried to give it space and not stress it out - and in the end it still died, after about a month. It was very sad and I do blame it on the petstore because as far as I knew, nothing went wrong on my part - mine refused to eat and got less active. Be careful where you buy pets, stress is often a killer of snakes but they also hide sicknesses extremely well.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:59 AM   #10
project1
Ya.. I bought 2 other reptiles from this store. No problems what so ever.. but I did lose the beardie I got from there... had him for just under a year but he became impacted and didn't make it through it. See, I made the stores website so I have a $400 store credit there, so I would like to spend it, should I try getting another one from the same store?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google