CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Just a thought on measuring a snake

Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Scrappyeddie77
Just a thought on measuring a snake

I was thinking of a simple way to get a measurement. I usually just have them crawl against a wall but I have an idea of a clear tube that I will put inch marks on and have the snake go into it. Has anyone tried this or a better idea. Let me know I am always willing to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Dragonling
It's a little buggy these days, but this is by far the easiest method: http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Zincubus
The clear tube sounds a fabulous idea but I'd need a thick tube for my 7'+ adult Snow Boa

Old 12-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Lorinako
Don't you just measure the shed?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Old 12-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
67temp
The issue with measuring sheds is that they stretch. So the shed is going to be longer than the actual snake.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
DeuceRon
I usually just measure the shed. My last one was just over 4ft. I just guess that he's somewhere close to 4ft.

It's certainly not an exact science, but then again, I'm not measuring him for a Tux

Old 01-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRon View Post
I usually just measure the shed. My last one was just over 4ft. I just guess that he's somewhere close to 4ft.

It's certainly not an exact science, but then again, I'm not measuring him for a Tux
Haha! Too funny

I rarely try to measure my snakes, rather I measure growth by weight. After a while you will get the hang of estimating length versus weight, and what looks okay. When my snakes start to look thick, and maybe a little squishy, I'll typically cut back on size or increase the time between feeds and handle a bit more. They all grow at different rates, it's not an exact form of measurement, but it works for me.

Good luck!

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google