CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Help

Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
ArchCarlos
Talking DIY Help

Hey everyone, simple question really. If I were to take a large rock from outside, what do I have to do to make it safe for my reptile friend? Or is it a bad idea?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Eli419
U should bake it and then freeze it overnight to kill all of the bacteria. Sorry not sure what temp or how long to bake it but I'm sure someone here does.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
smigon
I have a lot of rocks taken from my landscape. Make sure they are fairly smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach for about 20 minutes, then bake them at 250° for another 20 minutes. Let them cool and add them to the viv. Rocks and driftwood make for great free decor.

I have never frozen mine before, if you have room in the freezer it isn't a bad idea, but I never have extra room and have found that just boiling with the bleach water and baking works well.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
ArchCarlos
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
I have a lot of rocks taken from my landscape. Make sure they are fairly smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach for about 20 minutes, then bake them at 250° for another 20 minutes. Let them cool and add them to the viv. Rocks and driftwood make for great free decor.

I have never frozen mine before, if you have room in the freezer it isn't a bad idea, but I never have extra room and have found that just boiling with the bleach water and baking works well.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
plasticoamericano
Boil and bake like smigon said. Freezing doesn't seem like a bad idea but I've never done it either. Seems like overkill kinda.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
NH93
My goodness... I had no idea it took so much work to clean off a rock :P
Personally I would just wash it really well. But if you can go through the boiling and freezing states as mentioned then definitely do that. Don't listen to me
As long as it's smooth you should be fine. Many a hide are made of stone, after all. I mean, "wild rocks" shouldn't be a problem the same way sticks would, for example. At least, that is my understanding. But I yet to bring things in from the outdoors.

Best of luck!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
plasticoamericano
The creepy crawlies are everywhere.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
ArchCarlos
Question is can I use my regular refrigerator to freeze it?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
My goodness... I had no idea it took so much work to clean off a rock :P
Personally I would just wash it really well. But if you can go through the boiling and freezing states as mentioned then definitely do that. Don't listen to me
As long as it's smooth you should be fine. Many a hide are made of stone, after all. I mean, "wild rocks" shouldn't be a problem the same way sticks would, for example. At least, that is my understanding. But I yet to bring things in from the outdoors.

Best of luck!
LOL "wild rocks"! I just know that there are a lot of bacteria and pesticides (we have a pest control service spray monthly) and other "creepy crawlies" outdoors that could be bad for the snake, so I definitely always err on the side of caution.

I recently got some rocks, shells, pieces of driftwood and other decorations from someone, I really scrubbed them well outside with a hose, but after I boiled them I was amazed at the debris left behind in the pot.

I also boil plastic aquarium plants, I am by no means a germaphobe but better safe than sorry since they are made of plastic and have been shipped from the other side of the world.

I have heard of freezing, but like I said, between the icecream and frozen rodents, I have no room left in there!

And yes, ArchCarlos, the freezer attached to your fridge in the kitchen is fine.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #10
barkerross
Yes You must Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google