CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

My Kiddo likes it cold?

Old 01-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #1
FSJunky
My Kiddo likes it cold?

So My Little one is a 7 month old Male, who I have had for a few months now. His home is a 10 gallon tank with a ceramic heating element, 2 hides and a climbing stick. The issue is that we have had a cold winter (for San Diego) and the hot side of the cage is in the 75-80 range, despite never getting to "optimal" temp ranges my Kiddo seems to prefer the cold side. To ensure this is the case I just shifted his hides (one is a shell and the other a log half) and he keeps going to the cold hide. I think this side of the tank is in the 65-70 degree range. The only other thing he seems to be weird about is meals, He tends to eat every 7to 10 days if I offer on the 5th day he has just let the mouse sit till I toss it. I am trying not to worry just seems like odd behavior from a juvenile Corn.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Typically they prefer the cool side most of the time. Mine usually only use the heat when they're actively digesting. However, I would definitely try to get your warm side a bit warmer. I shoot for a hot spot of around 87 degrees.

As for his eating schedule, can you elaborate a bit on how you feed him? That schedule is okay, but it's pretty conservative for a juvenile corn, so he likely will have pretty slow growth. He may simply be taking longer to digest due to insufficient heat.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
FSJunky
I normally Thaw a Fuzzie mouse for 10-20 min and then take Jolteon out for handling until the mouse has had half an hr. to thaw up to room temp, at that point I put the mouse in a feeding tub (once or twice in his inclouser) and then place the snake in there and leave him bee to eat.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:58 PM   #4
Rich Z
How do you monitor the temps in that cage?

Old 01-16-2022, 12:24 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
Most snakes prefer a warm mouse. You can try thawing it with hot water, or if you don't want to get it wet, you could give it a blast with a hair dryer. I would probably stop doing a pre-feed handling session until he's eating more consistently for you.

Do you have your CHE hooked up to a thermostat?

Old 01-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
FSJunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
How do you monitor the temps in that cage?
Warm side is measured/ controlled with a zoo med thermostate with the temp probe at substrate level. Cold side is one of the .99 thermometer tapes.

Hypno:
Getting the mouse a little warm sounds like a good idea Maby ill try putting it in a baggie in the water, as for prefeed handling that was my attempt at ensuring he dose not get cage aggressive. but if its stunting his growth then ill stop.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google