CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Thinking about starting a single mouse colony - tips?

Old 01-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #11
LyraFamily
A 20 gallon tank should work fine for 1.3. We use rat breeding cages (12x18.25”) for our 1.3 colonies and 7.5x12” mouse breeding enclosures for hoppers or temporary/replacement 1.1 or 1.2. All are outfitted with huts and tp rolls, too.

The only real issue we’ve had is when there are hoppers involved -they tend to harass the pinkies. So, we make sure there are no hoppers left in the breeder cage if someone is about to give birth.

Both the rat and mouse breeder cages hold about a week’s worth of lab pellets on top. We also use 500 ml bottles so we don't have to constantly refill them - the 200 ml water bottles only last for 3-4 days. We use aspen shavings for bedding.

All in all, maintenance requires about 1.5-2 hours per week (includes the thorough cleaning).

The ASF’s sound interesting... How large is the average litter?

Old 01-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraFamily View Post
A 20 gallon tank should work fine for 1.3. We use rat breeding cages (12x18.25”) for our 1.3 colonies and 7.5x12” mouse breeding enclosures for hoppers or temporary/replacement 1.1 or 1.2. All are outfitted with huts and tp rolls, too.

The only real issue we’ve had is when there are hoppers involved -they tend to harass the pinkies. So, we make sure there are no hoppers left in the breeder cage if someone is about to give birth.

Both the rat and mouse breeder cages hold about a week’s worth of lab pellets on top. We also use 500 ml bottles so we don't have to constantly refill them - the 200 ml water bottles only last for 3-4 days. We use aspen shavings for bedding.

All in all, maintenance requires about 1.5-2 hours per week (includes the thorough cleaning).

The ASF’s sound interesting... How large is the average litter?
I was averaging 28-30 babies in a litter the last time I had a colony. I recently started up again.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
LyraFamily
Wow! That is fantastic. Thx for the info!

Old 01-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraFamily View Post
Wow! That is fantastic. Thx for the info!
No problem!
It took me a little bit to find stock to start my colony, but I have them now, so I'll be set soon.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I was averaging 28-30 babies in a litter the last time I had a colony. I recently started up again.
I wish my asf's had that many babies. The largest litter I have gotten from mine is 16 which really isn't any more than mice.

One trick I learned from a local rabbit breeder is to use 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to help neutralize the smell of their urine.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #16
hypnoctopus
Are your ASFs bitey? I was doing some research on them and that seems to be the general consensus. But I also saw a video of someone who breeds them locally and she reaches right into a group of them and handles them with no problem.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #17
67temp
Occasionally I will get a gentle nibble when they think I'm food but is never breaks the skin. When I change their bedding I just scoop them up with my hand. I can reach in and pet mine or scoot the moms off the babies with out them caring the slightest bit.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #18
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
I wish my asf's had that many babies. The largest litter I have gotten from mine is 16 which really isn't any more than mice.

One trick I learned from a local rabbit breeder is to use 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to help neutralize the smell of their urine.
That's a good idea, I'll have to try that.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #19
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Are your ASFs bitey? I was doing some research on them and that seems to be the general consensus. But I also saw a video of someone who breeds them locally and she reaches right into a group of them and handles them with no problem.
Mine are not at all. Previous colonies I had were not bad at all either.
About 6 months ago, I found a pair of females that ended up being nasty. They'd flip out every time I'd go near their enclosure.
They killed both males I tried putting in with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google