CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Malnourished - how to properly feed

Old 09-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
ONPOutreach
Malnourished - how to properly feed

I have taken possession of an extremely malnourished 5 year old. It was apparently fed pinkies approximately weekly it's entire life. 2.7 grams, yes you read that right! It is about to shed, and is extremely skinny but long for it's circumference.
Please advise on the best way to progress feeding for this poor thing. It took 2 pinkies pretty quickly on Saturday hours after I obtained it. Should I do 2 pinkies a week, 2 every 5 days, or go ahead and progress to the next size up?

Old 09-20-2022, 01:16 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Wow, that is extremely tiny for its age. I really hope it doesn't suffer any long term consequences from that feeding schedule. At 27 grams, you can try offering a fuzzy. I would keep it on a 5 day schedule and keep track of the weight to see how it progresses. A vet visit with a reptile specialty vet might be a good idea. I feel like it might need some supplementation, like calcium especially, since pinkies don't have much nutrition.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
ONPOutreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Wow, that is extremely tiny for its age. I really hope it doesn't suffer any long term consequences from that feeding schedule. At 27 grams, you can try offering a fuzzy. I would keep it on a 5 day schedule and keep track of the weight to see how it progresses. A vet visit with a reptile specialty vet might be a good idea. I feel like it might need some supplementation, like calcium especially, since pinkies don't have much nutrition.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant 27 grams, accidentally put a decimal when typing. Still only the size of a 6 month old. I'll try a fuzzy next. And definitely make an appointment with our vet.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
Caryl
That poor thing! I'm so glad that it's gotten into the hands of someone who will care for it. You are doing the right things. A vet visit is definitely in order, there may be issues requiring supplementation as already mentioned. Parasite screening will be done, and any issues there addressed.

You might want to get some probiotics to help this little one with digestion. I give all of mine a meal dusted with NutriBac monthly once they're feeding regularly. They also get the probiotic before/after any stressor like shipping or breeding, or a health event like a regurge. Can only help.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk