CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

What is, and what is not a Zigzag?

Old 03-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #11
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSmithS View Post
As for flagging mislabeled animals on MorphMarket, Fauna Classifieds, or on this site for that matter, I hope some of you will do so when you see examples that need to be corrected. Once I contacted a seller on MM to very politely point out that the animals that were labeled as ZigZag were in fact, not ZigZags. The seller politely thanked me but did not change the ad, and the animals were sold for far more than they were worth (IMO)
Yeah, having your ad be corrected is not something many people take well! Personally, I just skip that and hit the flag button to let the morph market staff know what has been mislabeled. With the exception of one seller (who *still* has very incorrectly labeled ads, ugh), I think having the morph market staff contact them instead of someone random carries a bit more weight.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #12
SnakeSmithS
...I think I know exactly what seller you are referring to, and I did report one of their ads to MM staff for misuse of the "trait tags" and for having descriptions like "Anery: Het Snow", and "Caramel: Het Butter" etc... That particular seller has been in the business for quite a long time, and should know better (i.e., have a basic understanding of mendelian genetics), but they seem to think that their notoriety excludes them from having to follow the rules regarding not misrepresenting animals they have for sale. I don't think any of us want to have to "police" other sellers, but I also feel like we have some obligation to try to prevent less knowledgeable people from being taken advantage of. Not to mention, it is in the best interest of the hobby to have correct information represented. I've certainly made some mistakes when posting ads, but was horrified when I realized the mistake (thankfully before anyone else did), and made corrections immediately. Oh well...

Old 03-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #13
Rich Z
Well, to be perfectly honest, since I also run FaunaClassifieds, if someone were to report such a thing, nothing would be done by staff concerning the ID the seller is using. That is simply because we would be meddling, in my opinion. Who is to say what is correct or not correct in such things? Even blatant misrepresentation is left up to the potential buyers to determine. I mean, who is to say if someone would be incorrect if in THEIR opinion an Aztec only needs to have two blotches fused together in order to qualify for wearing that label? I have seen people claiming that hypos were amelanistics because of the red tint to the eyes. I guess the older I get the more I think that many arguments are best just avoided. No one really likes to be corrected, even if they may publicly claim so. Just because my opinion may be different than someone else's is certainly not grounds to harass sellers over it.

Now, if I could ONLY follow my own advice.....

It is a thankless job trying to correct sellers, and a path I choose to no longer take, if I can restrain myself. I prefer just letting the buying public make their own decisions, and hopefully do their own due diligence in their purchasing decisions. Lord knows I have had lots of people report issues that honestly, I could not understand the logic of their complaint. So I get faced with the choice of pissing off the complainer, or pissing off the complainee. Sometimes BOTH. Thanks, but NO thanks. You all likely have NO idea how many times I have pissed someone off because I refused to ban someone they wanted me to.

Perhaps admins of other sites take a different view of such things, but in such cases, more power to them. They, too, will likely soon find out that continually kicking a hornet's nest is really no fun at all.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
67temp
Rich, I'm just curious if setting someone to "ignore list" on fauna makes it so their ads aren't visible or hidden from view? I don't want to flag their ads because technically there is nothing wrong with them but I also don't want to see ads from the vendor.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #15
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Perhaps admins of other sites take a different view of such things, but in such cases, more power to them. They, too, will likely soon find out that continually kicking a hornet's nest is really no fun at all.
Yeah, I know fauna runs differently, so I wouldn't try to 'report' ads there. Although since it's still a forum-style website, I have no problem leaving a comment on the seller's post if they have something very obviously misidentified.

As for morph market, they have actual paid staff whose job it is to handle such reports and I've directly asked them if they want me to report things that are mislabeled or miscategorized and they have said absolutely yes. And personally, I only report things that are very clearly wrong. The seller I was referring to has a bunch of snakes that are labeled as homozygous sunkissed and show absolutely none of the signs of being sunkissed. That seller also labels things as diffused that clearly show belly checkers. I personally don't report things that are somewhat subjective, like whether something counts as a Miami or an okeetee.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #16
Caryl
I'm all in favor of due diligence in all things, and this area isn't an exception. I've tried reaching out to sellers about errors; it rarely goes well. That said, I do occasionally report MM ads which are wildly and obviously incorrect. Like Neil, I'd hate for all of us to be tarred with that brush.

Recently I politely contacted a seller who advertised a "----- Corn Snake," which wasn't a corn snake. This wasn't just the category, mind you. They called it corn snake in their write-up as well. The term used generally denotes a hybrid, so I asked if that's what they'd meant. The seller basically replied, "Oh no, it's not a hybrid corn! It's pure rat snake, and got accidentally mislabeled. But it's pure!"I thought they'd take the ad down, but nope. So I reported it, and down it went.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #17
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
Rich, I'm just curious if setting someone to "ignore list" on fauna makes it so their ads aren't visible or hidden from view? I don't want to flag their ads because technically there is nothing wrong with them but I also don't want to see ads from the vendor.
The ignore list in vBulletin blocks you from being able to see all posts from anyone you place on that list. So yes, it does filter out those ads so you don't have to see them.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #18
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Yeah, I know fauna runs differently, so I wouldn't try to 'report' ads there. Although since it's still a forum-style website, I have no problem leaving a comment on the seller's post if they have something very obviously misidentified.
Yes, that is acceptable on FaunaClassifieds. When I dumped the Board Of Inquiry, I had to make changes in the way we dealt with the classifieds sections there to keep the place from becoming a safe haven for scammers. Allowing replies in the actual ads themselves seemed like a plausible way of doing that. In that manner, people posting negative comments about an ad would eventually force the original author to delete the ad to remove all such disrupting comments. And eventually they will likely just go elsewhere, when they get the message that they weren't welcome there by their targeted potential, but now wiser, customers. But, of course, this could cause problems with legitimate sellers being attacked by ghost competitors and just malicious postings, which keeps the moderators on their toes. So there were no easy answers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
aberrant, aztec, mislabeled, zigzag