CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Wood getting hot

Old 10-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
Firefur
Question Wood getting hot

Im currently in the process of building wooden vivariums for my corn snakes one is almost done and the other has been in service for about 2 months today I was dusting the top of the completed viv and getting ready to place the second wooden enclosure ontop of the first when I noticed that the wood directly over the heating element is warm to the touch not to hot to put your hand there for awhile but still noticeably warm. It your basic ceramic light fixture and 60 watt Ceramic heat bulb. Is this normal? Is this a fire hazard? How do I fix this? Any advice is appreciated

Old 10-31-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
chairman
Heat rises, so it is normal for the heat to transfer like that. If the surface temperature is getting too high then you can take a piece of structural foam, wrap it in HVAC tape, and install it between the electrical box and the top of the enclosure. That'll deflect more heat downward.

You may need to adjust the placement of your thermostat probe if you add the insulated barrier.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
FSJunky
I would worry more about the heat of the wood directly touching/above the light Inside the enclosure. this can be measured with an IR thermometer or one of the little .99 stick on ones. https://startwoodworkingnow.com/how-hot-does-wood-burn/ This article talks about wood starting show damage at temps in the 320 degree range. so you should be safe even if the temps are approaching 200. I do really like Chair's heat shield plan though!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google