CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Help, gravid female tail gone limp

Old 04-29-2022, 05:43 PM   #11
MISS.SB
Sorry for the slow reply She passed away she had a huge blood clot I’m devastated hence the slow reply. I’m going to have her preserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-30-2022, 01:56 AM   #12
hypnoctopus
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that!

Old 05-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #13
Caryl
I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers and hugs.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-08-2022, 11:24 AM   #14
MISS.SB
Thanks very much!

Old 05-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #15
Caryl
Were you able to salvage those early eggs?

Old 05-08-2022, 08:19 PM   #16
MISS.SB
The one she laid on the 15th is the one pearly white that’s looking beautiful. The rest didn’t make it, they all had embryos but they didn’t look calcified and unfortunately they all started to smell bad and look bad so one by one when I was sure they wasn’t good I froze them just to make sure.
Now I don’t know if this is something that’s possible, but I know my incubator is perfect I’ve got three other clutches in it at the moment, so I’m wondering if… when I’ve marked the eggs if due to them not having that calcified layer if the ink had seeped into the egg and poisoned them? Just because I cut one to see if I could figure what was going on and I could see what looked like a little ink inside. Because all other parameters were exactly the same other than the rest not having the calci layer or if they simply wouldn’t have made it anyway. It seems it was just never meant to be.
Like I said I’m going to preserve her and obviously the one beautiful egg shall be kept they’re my special little baby.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #17
Caryl
Oh, I'm so happy to learn that you've at least got one egg from your treasured girl! I hope this baby is healthy, sttong, and a great eater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS.SB View Post
Now I don’t know if this is something that’s possible, but I know my incubator is perfect I’ve got three other clutches in it at the moment, so I’m wondering if… when I’ve marked the eggs if due to them not having that calcified layer if the ink had seeped into the egg and poisoned them?
I hate to say so, but yes, that's a distinct possibility. The only thing that should be used to mark the eggs is a pencil. I'm sorry.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:33 PM   #18
MISS.SB
Oh really.. in all the years I’ve never heard that and all other breeders I know all use a sharpie type pen. I’ll certainly keep that in mind though and have a chat with other breeders about it.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #19
Caryl
Snake eggs are gas- and water-permeable, so anything water soluble can penetrate the shell and expose the occupant to potentially harmful chemicals. Some say that a water-soluble marker like those for children is harmless; I haven't seen any scientific data either way on this, so I err on the side of caution. Sharpies are called "permanent marker" but there are things which can partially or completely dissolve their inks.
Here's a link to an article about some of the potential dangers of Sharpie-type inks to humans. It's logical that these dangers could be magnified in a developing embryo of any species.

https://www.thoughtco.com/sharpie-tattoo-safety-3975986

When I started breeding the standard wisdom said to use only pencil... Using a pencil is still absolutely the safest option. (Of course, one shouldn't use a super-sharp pencil which could scratch the shell.)
Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. I really hope you get a healthy baby from your girl's remaining egg!

Old 05-08-2022, 11:42 PM   #20
MISS.SB
No, really thank you! I’ll certainly switch to using pencil for safety then if I need to mark any eggs.
It’ll be due to hatch around 14th June so I’ll most likely post updates when it has hatched

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google