CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bloated stomach

Old 05-14-2022, 10:16 PM   #21
Quinn_1234
Update. She pooped today again. It was very very soft but at least not watery. There also were bubbles. Looks like she started passing out her gases.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #22
Caryl
Thanks for the update. I'm curious, are you giving her medication to her, or is she seeing the vet for that? When does she go back to the vet?

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2022, 10:40 PM   #23
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn_1234 View Post
Yes. I understand about food. But could she hold feces? The thing is I fed her last time 23 of April. Then, I fed her with pinkie on Monday, 9. She pooped on Wednesday when she had diarrhea. And she pooped again tonight. She still has the bloating, which worries me the most. Doctor said that bloating might be because of her very slow metabolism. I also read that it can be a result of protozoa.
Sorry, I'd somehow missed this. Normally the majority of a meal gets through their system in a matter of days. Cooler temps or gut motility that's slowed for some reason could mean that it will take longer for it to pass through. Like any species, some individuals have slower metabolic rate as your vet said. And you're correct that infection or parasites can slow digestion and cause bloating.

It is going to take a while for her to improve. It is hard to wait and can feel like forever. It may help to keep in mind that her metabolism is usually running at about 20% of the rate of human metabolism. Fingers crossed for her.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:18 PM   #24
Quinn_1234
I give the meds by myself. The vet told me to come on 20-21 when we finish with meds and I feed her.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:19 PM   #25
Quinn_1234
Fingers crossed

Old 05-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #26
Quinn_1234
So that they can check her feces again. I'll also bring my other snakes' feces to check.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #27
Quinn_1234
I understand it will be a long way for her to improve. I'm okay to wait. I just hope she will make it. I read about probiotics for snakes, but can't find any on sale. I know that it's good to take some after antibiotics. Have you heard anything about those?

Old 05-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #28
Caryl
Your snake is fortunate to have you. Sounds like you're doing all you can for her.

Old 05-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #29
Caryl
Your snake is lucky to have a human who's doing everything to care for her. I wish all of them were so lucky!

Yes, I'm familiar with probiotics. I use one called NutriBac with mine. It was recommended to me by Kathy Love herself (she's one of the pioneers in corn snake keeping and breeding). I am convinced it saved a youngster I once had who had gotten overheated and developed a dangerous pattern of regurges, even with proper regurge protocol. After gettingstarted with NutriBacthe regurges ended. He grew up to be a favorite pet, education animal, and sire.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:04 PM   #30
Quinn_1234
Thank you for your kind words. I really want her to improve as she is my first snake. And I love all of them. Unfortunately it's impossible to buy NutriBac in here. We have ReptiBac. They're probably similar. It's also an update. She pooped by herself last night. I can't tell if it was watery as it was smeared around. But the color has changed from yellow/brownish to dark brown ish. It doesn't have really unpleasant smell though. Bloating is smaller.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google