CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heater Help and Recommendations!

Old 01-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
texasreb
Heater Help and Recommendations!

I've kind of had it with stick-on UTH's. My most recent one is burningly hot. I'm using it for 10 mins on/50 mins off so I don't burn my snake and/or crack the glass until I get something new.

My snake will be 21 years old this year and I go through at least 2 heaters a year for him.

What do y'all recommend? I'm looking for brand and/or type recommendations.

Is sticking them under the tank still the recommended way to go? I see more and more people sticking them on the side. Like I said above, I'm about through with the kind that stick on--send me some alternative ideas please.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Are you using a thermostat? That will definitely help them not overheat.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
All heat sources require a thermostat. Your home Heater doesn't run all the time, it has a thermostat. Plug the thermostat into the wall. Plug the heater into the thermostat. Set the thermostat at the desired temperature (82 to 88 degrees) check it periodically with an infrared thermometer gun and you're good to go. Those heat pad get hot enough to cook a snake. Yet "Most of Us" use them. They are the best way to heat for a reptile, but you have to do it correctly. A little research firsthand would have saved you from this moment.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
Rich Z
Just make sure that the snake can get to a cooler section of the cage if it wants to be off the heat. In other words, have a cool end and a warm end of the cage so the snake can pick the temp it wants to be by where it chooses to be in the cage.

As much as is practical, however.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google