CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Confused (new babies...)

Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
JemmaUK
Confused (new babies...)

My snakes bred well this year, finally. I have 7 little ones so far but I am having a real devil of a job identifying some of the babies.

The parents are a Ghost Corn female and Amel male and it looks like I should get 10 or so babies in all.

I have gotten some babies which look like hypo amel (2) but I have some others which I cant identify. They are dark pink over pink - no white showing, no black, and no 'red'.

I dont know the genetics of the parents so I am at a bit of a loss regarding what the little pinks actually are.

They're all doing well and surprisingly are well acquainted with the tail rattling thing..

I've attached a photo, so if anyone recognises them please let me know what they are.

Thanks

Jemma xx

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
lajes
I would vote for lil Snow babys congrats.
Maybe the parents are only a Anery n a amel?
Got Pics of the parents n the lil other pipis so identifying is much easier.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
spyderk
Ghost is anery + hypo, so that would work out, if they were snows.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
JemmaUK
Thanks for that - thats what I thought at first, but all the pics of Snow babies I have managed to find look nothing like what I have. Amel Cinder is exactly the same colours, but I dont understand how I have gotten from there to here

I've attached pics of the parents and one of one of the ?amel? babies.

I have another 4 pipping but its impossible to get a picture of them - they just go hide in a cloud of bubbles...

They've all got different personalities too, although the first of all of them seems strangely disorganised - likes to tie himself in knots.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Susan
According to your photos, you don't have a ghost, but rather a snow (amel + anery) instead and the other parent is an amel het anery (has to be to produce snow babies). Your snow parent MAY also be hypo, but you can't tell that without breeding trials with a known hypo that, when paired with your snow, would produce a hypo morph that would show it, such as a ghost or "plain" hypo.

And the 2 babies shown are a snow and an amel. Some snows can hatch out looking much pinker than an adult snow would look, or vice versa as there are several factors that could make for very pink snows.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
ceduke
I agree with Susan, your ghost is actually a snow, and so is the little baby.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
JemmaUK
Thanks for that info. As it stands it looks like I have 3 of the Amels and all the rest are the pink ones (snow). They all seem to be doing ok, drinking and the like. I havent fed them yet, still a little concerned about the first hatchling - he's still very disorganised and ties himself in the most remarkable knots.

I have a Hognose as well and when I put the babies in the same room he went totally berserk, even though he usually has a Anery cornsnake as a next door neighbour - anyone have any ideas why? The two other adult corns are acting odd too - overexcited and agitated.

The Amazon Boa seems entirely disinterested in the whole procedure, only taking an interest when my hand gets in range of his temperature receptors. I know from experience he has exactly 20 teeth...

Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
bitsy
It may be coincidence. We're having a very warm few days here in the UK and when they get too warm, Corns tend to get over-active and a bit grumpy. I've just gone to feed my old fella and had to splash cold water on his head to get him unlatched from my sleeve!

Check the temps on the floor at the warm and cool sides of the vivs.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
JemmaUK
Update and a weird situation...

All the lil ones seem to be doing ok, bar a couple of bad sheds and one that decided that he was going to use his birth skin as a nappy (dont ask..).

It looks like I have 2 Stargazers - but they dont seem typical.

How long between them shedding for the first time, and needing/wanting food?

Here is the weird part. I have had for the last couple of days had what appears to be a massive allergy attack for which I can find no explanation. The only thing that has changed is the baby snakes - ive not changed anything (like detergents and the like) other than their arrival. The allergy is like that I used to get with cats as a child only 10 times worse. My eyes swelled almost shut - constant sneezing (to the point I put my back out). Has anyone else experienced this, because its worrying me that I have no idea what the reason is behind this allergy attack.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Chip
I typically offer the first meal after they have all shed. Sorry to hear about the stargazing. I would (at very least) make sure those babies don't get bred. And both of your parents are het stargazers, also. I know you don't want to hear this, but I would never breed those animals again, even to other snakes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google