CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

What do people prefer! Feeding inside or outside

Old 08-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
Nyrkorey
What do people prefer! Feeding inside or outside

I keep seeing tons of information about feeding inside the enclosure or taking them out and feeding in a container?

I see some articles saying how its terrible to take them out and feed them.outside and they totally disagree with that. Then there is some I see where people have no problem with this , why the big disconnect??

I hear sometimes feeding them.outside the enclosure and eveeytime you take them out to "play" they think they are getting food. Then I see inside they can get impaction

I'm just looking for clarification or any preferences?

Side question: if I feed inside , for my baby snake , when I put the pinky inside the tank should I find him.and put it indront of his face then put it on like a paper plate near him? Sorry hope this all makes sense

Old 08-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
blacktip
I have done both and have not had issues with either. I think ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

I always try to find my babies and feed them directly with tongs. If they won't eat that way, taking them out and putting them in a small container, like a deli dish, and putting them in a dark location with the pinky almost always worked.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Corn snakes in general are such good eaters that you can choose which method you prefer and it should be fine.

I prefer to feed in a separate container for a few reasons. One is so there is zero risk of accidentally ingesting substrate. Impaction is a pretty low risk, but I'd rather not risk it at all. Two is that it's very convenient for me to remove the snakes, feed them, and while they're eating, I can spot clean and refill water. Another reason for me is that not every snake I own gets handled every single week, so pulling them out to feed ensures that they get a bit of handling and get checked over at least once a week. Shy babies can also benefit from being placed in a small container with their pinkie. Sometimes if you try to feed them in their enclosure, they're either too scared to come out and eat or they simply don't explore enough to actually find it. Being put in a small container solves both of those issues, especially if they're also placed in a quiet, dark place.

The only thing I've ever heard people claim that is bad about feeding in a separate container is that it stresses the snake out and could cause a regurge. In my decade of keeping dozens of snakes, I've literally never experienced a regurge from moving the snake to feed - so I think that's a completely false claim.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
blacktip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
The only thing I've ever heard people claim that is bad about feeding in a separate container is that it stresses the snake out and could cause a regurge. In my decade of keeping dozens of snakes, I've literally never experienced a regurge from moving the snake to feed - so I think that's a completely false claim.
I agree with this 100%. In all my times of feeding in a separate container, I never once came across this issue.