CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Anyone ever work with PVC Sheets?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Dale
Anyone ever work with PVC Sheets?

I enjoy a good DIY project and considering my expected offspring for the coming year, its time to get a hatchling rack underway. I've always wanted to try a plastic project, so much more professional looking, and obviously lighter weight.

Has anyone worked with it before? Finding the material is proving to be a pain, but I think I've found a plastic supplier in the area, they're not very good at answering emails though. Looking for tips and tricks of working with it, from what i've read, anything you do with plywood, you can do with pvc. I've seen the websites from the DIY rack building people.

Besides the rack building, i'm also looking for quality containers to use. I'm looking beyond the typical Sterilite, and trying to locate some quality clear acrylic style containers. Coming up empty there though, outside of paying $15-20 per. Since I'm looking at a 20 drawer system, that's not an acceptable price per drawer.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
crackerhead
I've worked with PVC. I can think of four main drawbacks when working with it, sagging over longer spans, gummed up bits, cost and availability. There is a type of sheet PVC available at some of the major chain hardware stores and then there is the stuff seen used in racks like Animal Plastics. The later is great to work with but hard to find. Probably because it isn't a product with a common hardware community use. I know it is a staple in the sign making business though.
The stuff I've found at Menard's is "okay". It's heavy and the color leaves much to be desired.

Terri

Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Dale
Yes, I think one of the brands of the type you are talking about is "Sintra"? That's what I've been going after and its definitely not available in common stores. Carried only by sign makers and plastic supply houses. Going to have to drive cross town to get it.

I worried about the sagging too, but with a modestly sized hatchling rack, shouldn't be too much of an issue. From what I've read its supposed to be about $30 for a 4x8 sheet, but I have yet to get a reply from the company i emailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I've worked with PVC. I can think of four main drawbacks when working with it, sagging over longer spans, gummed up bits, cost and availability. There is a type of sheet PVC available at some of the major chain hardware stores and then there is the stuff seen used in racks like Animal Plastics. The later is great to work with but hard to find. Probably because it isn't a product with a common hardware community use. I know it is a staple in the sign making business though.
The stuff I've found at Menard's is "okay". It's heavy and the color leaves much to be desired.

Terri

Old 09-06-2022, 08:22 AM   #4
Pop Alexandra
I have some experience with different PVC sheets and my recommendation is https://revetementagro.com/en/product/marvec .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google