CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

7 MO not eating, when to worry?

Old 02-09-2023, 12:14 PM   #1
Parbreaker
7 MO not eating, when to worry?

Hello, new here.

I have my first snake, which is a 7 month old corn.

Start off, it's been exactly 14 days since last feed and he shed 2 days ago.

Seems healthy, flicking, no bulges, scars, mouth breathing, sores, etc.

Tank is currently a 10 gal with coconut fiber bedding 2" deep, two hides, trees and branches, and heat is graduated from 90*F on one side to about 72* on the left side.

Up until now he has always been a fairly aggressive feeder (other than his first feed ever). He is usually fed with tongs with a mouse warmed to body temp (96-100*F).

I did recently go up to small fuzzies and he has eaten two of them 8 days apart rather aggressively.

After he refused to eat yesterday even after his shed I weighed him and he is slightly under, I think, at 19g. I can't imagine he isn't hungry so I am at a loss as to why he won't eat.

Water is clean.

The only two things I can imagine are maybe, I need to drop back to pinkies for a bit? Or maybe he needs more time after shedding?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:26 PM   #2
Parbreaker
Update. I went back to a pinky and he ate it like normal.

I figure I'll feed him those every 3-4 days until he gains a bit more weight and girth to try moving up again.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:10 AM   #3
Shiari
A fuzzy is too large for him at that size, yeah. You can feed him two pinks at a time, but should not feed more frequently than every 5 days.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
At that size, he could handle a peach fuzzy (3-4 grams) or double pinkies, but I wouldn't feed a regular fuzzy.

Old 02-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
Parbreaker
Thanks everyone.

I can't find peach fuzzies locally, so went back to pinkies and he ate them right up like normal.

I tried to feed him 2 at a time since he is a touch underweight and even though he aggresively ate the first one, he had no interest in the second one.

Are some snakes just not as prone to eating two in one feeding? Or should I try it again next time? I want to get his weight up a bit so I figure it's either get him to eat 2 at a time or feed him as often as I can with 1 at a time until he's big enough to go up to fuzzies.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:30 AM   #6
Shiari
some snakes just won't eat multiple prey items. Offer him one pinky every 5 days if he'll take it that often. If not, then one pink every 7 days will have him grow, just slower.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google