CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Why you should always check the temps where the eggs will be...

Old 04-13-2002, 09:54 PM   #1
Serpwidgets
Why you should always check the temps where the eggs will be...

I just got my second female's clutch, and so I put it in the incubator. To keep it off the bottom, I sat an upside-down empty eggbox underneath it.

I came home from work and the temp in eggbox #1 was ~84 degrees. I then put the probe in the second eggbox and it was 91.8F! Apparently the heat was rising up and getting trapped inside the upside-down container, and then being transferred into the eggbox. Fortunately I caught this early on, and hopefully it shouldn't have any ill effects on these eggs.

I've nagged about it before, and this is one example of why I believe you should always check the temps in the exact place and configuration that you plan to put the eggs... and do so before you put living eggs in harm's way.

Just something for newbies (like me) to keep in mind.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:35 AM   #2
Simon
Good call!

Good thing that you found out early before the eggs were boiled....

You saved a lot of lives too! Remember to post the pics when they hatch out!

Good luck and Happy Herping

Old 04-14-2002, 01:16 AM   #3
Kevin M
Quit making me paranoid serp...

I check my eggs often enough. With stories like these I'll be overchecking them...

But seriously. Serp is correct. Best to have your incubator ready to go days before your going to need it. And during that time keep checking the temputure all around the incubator, specially where your egg boxes will be.

-Kev

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google