CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Strange white stuff on pinkies?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Niclou
Strange white stuff on pinkies?

Hey, so I haven't posted here for a while and that's mainly because I haven't really needed to. Every thing has been going pretty well. But I do have a question to ask.

So tonight I went out to pick up more pinky mice from a place that I don't normally get them from, and once I got home I noticed that all the mice were covered in this weird white stuff and all smelled like snake poop.

Has this happened to anybody before? and do any of you have any idea on what the white stuff is? It definitely smells like snake poop but I don't know why that would be the case. Is it some kind of mold?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
MindsEyeExotics
If they are frozen mice it could be freezer burn(patchy spots of white especially on small hairless prey items), indicating they have been in a freezer for some time. I don't think it would harm a snake, but it might make some picky eaters refuse the mouse. The poop smell could be from the rodents being overcrowded when they were dispatched for freezing so they were covered in their own waste when being frozen. If they are live mice you are talking about then I have no idea..other than maybe they were sold to you in a box that already had poop in it?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
Twolunger
It does sound like freezer burn, but I sure wouldn't feed my snakes anything that smelled like that. Throw them out and look for a better supplier.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
SneakyDevil
My sister just bought some new food, is this what you mean?

Old 01-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Twolunger
Freezer burn is nothing more than water molecules in the mice turning into ice crystals. It is okay to feed mice with freezer burn, however freezer burn doesn't equate with foul odors. The original post mentioned odors, which may indicate the mice thawed at one time and were refrozen.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Vivianhealy
These look like Ice crystals and smells very bad.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Twolunger
I've never given my snakes anything that stunk. Although snakes do prefer certain odors those are virtually undetectable to us. If something smells bad throw it out and replace it. The only odor I get when I defrost my frozen mice with warm/hot water is a blood smell. Having said that, if a mouse is left in with your snake overnight it may have an unpleasant odor, but not when you initially defrost it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google