CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Anery or Charcoal?

Old 03-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #11
CornsAustria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Well, guess you'd better hope that none of my line makes it to Europe!
that would give a lot of fight, tears and more fights who are right now or not under the german breeder 'clan' and it would call into question all previous 'knowledge'

personally I think, theres no need to discuss when the cornsnake is proven, it is..
lineage are different, bloodpools are different, and who knows what else is different on the other side of the sea
I think, american lines give you way more options ....

Old 03-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
Rich Z
Good luck figuring it out. Anerys and Charcoals have been bred together for decades now, and honestly, it got to a point where I just stopped trying to figure out the differences. I could find exceptions to every rule that I and others would come up with over the years. I would have thought I would have produced MANY individuals homozygous for both genes together, but darn if I could pick them out of the lineup. So when I sold babies from such breedings, best I could do was to guess at what each of those dark drab colorless babies actually were. Towards the end, I would just bulk them all out with the normals anyway, and who knows what the buyers labelled them as.

And, of course, I threw Hypo (any and all varieties) into the mix too, so that just wound up producing nightmares about being able to accurately identify the babies when they hatched out. For some reason, people just didn't appreciate my telling them what the heritage of the snakes they were getting were, but pointedly telling them that an ACCURATE ID was pretty much impossible. Hence towards the end of SerpenCo, I was making up a lot of ID labels with just question marks on them.

It wasn't just because of the physical workload that I decided to retire. The mental load was even more burdensome by a long shot. I really couldn't sustain a business depending on retail sales when it had arrived at a point that I had to admit I didn't know what the hell I was producing any longer. How the heck can you sell accurately genetically identified babies when TRULY you need to grow them up and breed them to 100% KNOWN genetic types and observe the babies (understanding that Murphy's Law reigns supreme in this stuff) before you can truly (maybe) KNOW what they are and put a label on them?

And I seriously doubt things are any better today for most folks unless VERY strenuous efforts have been made to identify and isolate each and every gene in every animal they are working with. Just the various flavors of "hypomelanism" in any breeding plans will put you in a straight jacket pretty quickly. Mine is still hanging in the closet. Heck, I STILL have nightmares about this stuff!

IMHO.

So like I said, GOOD LUCK! Don't take this all too seriously or there will be a straight jacket with your name on it somewhere.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google