CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

African Soft Fur Rats

Old 01-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
67temp
One of my colonies I'm having trouble with. I'm pretty sure they keep killing off other adults that they were raised with. Maybe once a month I'll find the remains of an adult. Typically the pelt is turned inside out with the bones, muscle and organs missing. The remaining adults don't show any visible signs that they have been fighting and babies are left unharmed. It sucks loosing a breeder considering how long they take to grow out.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
rolandslf
That sounds a bit savage. I am going to take a young male and 5 or 6 young females, and set them up in there own tub.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
Twolunger
I have two colonies set up in laboratory rat breeding containers that have wire tops. The ASF's are cuddled together during the day and don't do much, but when the lights go out they scamper all over the containers. They climb all over the wire looking for a chance to escape. They do grow much slower than mice. They look so cute that some tenderhearted boa breeders can't euthanize them.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
One of my colonies I'm having trouble with. I'm pretty sure they keep killing off other adults that they were raised with. Maybe once a month I'll find the remains of an adult. Typically the pelt is turned inside out with the bones, muscle and organs missing. The remaining adults don't show any visible signs that they have been fighting and babies are left unharmed. It sucks loosing a breeder considering how long they take to grow out.
Is there a consistency in if it is a male or female that is killed?
What are you feeding? Maybe a deficiency?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #15
67temp
Nope both males and females have been killed. Their normal diet is mazuri 6f. Every other or every third day they get supplemented with either black oil sunflower seeds for extra fat or dried meal worms for extra protein. They also get scraps of pasta, fruits and veggies left over from my normal meal prep.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
Twolunger
Have you actually seen any of the colony attacking one of the ASF's? I know when one dies the others will consume the carcass, supposedly nature's way of continuing the colony, and hiding it from predators. I have read that if deprived of water rats will kill and drink the blood of the unfortunate victim. It is possible that some strains have cannibalistic tendencies, as well as aggressiveness. My own colonies are growing well on a diet of Oxbow adult guinea pig pellets, and Evolve Simply Six dog food. The Oxbow is only 12% protein, while the Evolve is 21%. My colonies love carrots and will eat them before anything else. The Evolve has limited ingredients and besides vitamins and minerals, contain glucosamine and chondroitin. Hope you can sort out the problem.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
67temp
Just recently I caught two of them fighting, though I think they may have been both of the males. Typically before one dies they all are looking healthy. Who knows it could just be their water nozzle gets clogged for a day and they resort to violence. I'm down to only 4 left in that one colony (and no current babies) so they will be getting fed off soon and their tank will get filled with another younger colony.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #18
rolandslf
A month ago I started a second ASF colony, well this coming weekend I will have to stsrt a third colony I must have in the region of 90 ASF's now.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 PM   #19
Twolunger
I'm finally able to sex the young ASF's. I have 4 colonies going now, two are 1.2 and two are 1.3. Should give me a good start when they are breeding age. I gave away 5 extra males that were colored like a Norway rat.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #20
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I'm finally able to sex the young ASF's. I have 4 colonies going now, two are 1.2 and two are 1.3. Should give me a good start when they are breeding age. I gave away 5 extra males that were colored like a Norway rat.
What color are most of yours?

Mine are typically white with a brown saddle on the back. Some of them have white ears and others have black ears.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google