CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 03-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #31
Caryl
Looks good! Normal, so very good. You've likely got time to get your moss delivery. If she follows the usual playbook, once she's shed she will spend the next few days being restless. On the other hand, she may settle rather quickly into whatever spot she chooses to lay her eggs. Hopefully this will be your wonderful nest box! Most likely she'll present you with eggs about 7-10 days after shedding. That mounding you mentioned usually occurs 1-2 days before she lays.

Exciting stuff, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #32
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Looks good! Normal, so very good. You've likely got time to get your moss delivery. If she follows the usual playbook, once she's shed she will spend the next few days being restless. On the other hand, she may settle rather quickly into whatever spot she chooses to lay her eggs. Hopefully this will be your wonderful nest box! Most likely she'll present you with eggs about 7-10 days after shedding. That mounding you mentioned usually occurs 1-2 days before she lays.

Exciting stuff, isn't it?

I've been so excited I've been having trouble sleeping the past few days lmao

Old 03-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #33
Rich Z
From what I found, the females will lay their eggs 4 to 5 days after shedding if they have a really satisfactory place to lay her eggs. That means she will just stay in the egg laying box after shedding. If she can burrow in real good, you might not even see her. By 10 days, if she isn't really satisfied, and has prowled up a storm looking for a better nesting site, she will usually just compromise with whatever she has available and just lay them. That could be anywhere in the cage. The longer she holds the eggs, the more difficult it can be on her laying them. They are getting larger the entire time she is carrying them.

Of course, there are no hard and fast rules with this. Sometimes nothing you do will satisfy the girls.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:19 PM   #34
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
From what I found, the females will lay their eggs 4 to 5 days after shedding if they have a really satisfactory place to lay her eggs. That means she will just stay in the egg laying box after shedding. If she can burrow in real good, you might not even see her. By 10 days, if she isn't really satisfied, and has prowled up a storm looking for a better nesting site, she will usually just compromise with whatever she has available and just lay them. That could be anywhere in the cage. The longer she holds the eggs, the more difficult it can be on her laying them. They are getting larger the entire time she is carrying them.

Of course, there are no hard and fast rules with this. Sometimes nothing you do will satisfy the girls.
I bow to Rich's much greater experience.
(My girls have generally gone in about 5-7 days, for whatever it's worth. ) And I do hope you catch some shut-eye!

Old 03-20-2022, 09:43 PM   #35
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
I bow to Rich's much greater experience.
(My girls have generally gone in about 5-7 days, for whatever it's worth. ) And I do hope you catch some shut-eye!

It could be a matter of environment. Different lighting, different day night heat cycles. Or perhaps my girls were all just trying to gang up on me to see if they could push me into a nervous breakdown. They almost succeeded once.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:00 PM   #36
Caryl
Maybe so. In any case, Rich, I'm SURE they were trying to gang up on you. They can be wicked that way. I was planning to try and spread things out this season so that I wouldn't be setting up every hatchling at the same time. I'm confident that the females will scuttle these plans somehow.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #37
inu009
I don't think I'll ever get even close to the level you two are/were, probably only one or two breeding females at a time lol. It must be an amazing feeling have multiple clutches dropping at the same time, but unless I win the lottery, I don't see that in my future

Old 03-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #38
inu009
Bean shed last night (right when I was expecting). I took her out for a little bit this morning to look her over, and I couldn't feel any individual eggs still, but that's probably just me doing it wrong lol. Just to give me a piece of mind, I put her with the male one last time, and she didn't want anything to do with him, a complete 180 from a few weeks ago.

The lay box is packed full of moss now, I tried to guide her back to it to show her it's full now, but she stuck her head in, and right back out x.x so hopefully she figures that out lol.

So now we wait. I know people say the wait for the eggs to pip is the hardest, but I cant imagine anything being harder than this wait. I've just been thinking hopefully she gets them all out okay, hopefully the are fertile (obviously the former is more important, but you know lol). I feel like once the eggs are out an in the incubator, (which has been working great after my tweaks, I'm only getting a temp variance of .03 degrees) I can relax my mind for 60 days.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #39
Caryl
That's all good news. Fingers crossed that all continues to go smoothly. We'll look forward to seeing those beautiful "new mama with eggs" pictures soon.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #40
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by inu009 View Post
I don't think I'll ever get even close to the level you two are/were, probably only one or two breeding females at a time lol. It must be an amazing feeling have multiple clutches dropping at the same time, but unless I win the lottery, I don't see that in my future
By the way, I was never anywhere near Rich's league. Very few have been. The hobby owes him enormous and continuing gratitude. At peak collection I had just over 100 snakes, apart from babies for sale. I've currently got 25. So far I've bred 4 females this year and will definitely do one more (God and snakes willing). Between PT and other commitments, that's going to be more than enough me this season. And yes, it's sure to be exciting; hopefully the excitement and the surprises will be of the pleasant sort but one never knows. I'm pretty sure Rich wouldn't even consider 5 pairings as an afternoon's work on a light day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google