CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 AM   #51
Nanci
Glad she was just in the hide and not escaped! Every time I see someone with that log in their set-up I tell them about it.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #52
bitsy
Even earthenware flowerpots have their problems.

I once "lost" a sub-adult. Went to clean out her viv - she was nowhere. Emptied it completely, substrate and all. No snake. Couldn't figure out how she'd escaped through sliding glass doors. Searched around for a couple of hours, but of course no sign of the young lady. Left substrate out, but put all the fittings, water bowl, hides etc, back in the viv, ready in case I found her (they'd just been left on the floor next to the viv during the time that I was searching).

Two weeks later, I finally gave up on finding her again. Took all of the bits out of the viv to disinfect them and pack them away. Turned the flowerpot over and... the little Madam was curled up, *inside* the top of the flowerpot! Needless to say, she was most annoyed at being discovered and resisted attempts to remove her. One fuzzy and a good drink of water later and she was back to being her usual sunny self.

The moral is - if you think you have an escapee, check *everywhere* inside the tank first. And that means even inside the more open types of hide, where they couldn't *possibly* be hiding themselves!!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #53
Jdog3131
I know there haven't been posts here lately but with this thread I thought that this thread should be stickied.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #54
Ronzie
I always wondered how someone could possibly have a snake escape.
But last week while doing something in my amels cage the phone rang and started talking while standing outside his viv. For some reason I got side tracked and left the front slider open. This was at 8pm. It wasn't till the next morning at 8am I noticed the door open. My heart sunk. Thoroughly checked her cage and nothing. Then I notice a big poop on the floor down on the hardwood floor in the dining room. I looked everywhere.
Then the phone rings and it's my dad. I'm standing right near his cage and out of the top box I have beside it I see him coming out. I stick out my hand and he climbs on and back in his cage he goes.
I'm glad it was him because he's so laid back and friendly, while my other guy is kinda skitish and just goes and goes.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #55
Nitelion94
So Glad you found her. If I ever use another zilla sliding lock lid it is getting taped. I had 2 escapee from them.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #56
juliegarner
glad u found her don't know what i would do if angel our amel got out

Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #57
diariocruz
Had my first escape today. My boy Ghost (not a ghost just his name) was missing when i went to say goodmoring. Not hiding in his substrate and not in his hide. I assume i did something wrong when i put him away last night and i had some family over so completely my fault for being irresponsible. I was pretty upset and since he's still small and young assumed he made his escape last night and was long gone by now. I went into a cleaining frenzy to occupy my mind and when i went to clear off the TOP of my fridge, there he was. Chillin on top of the fride! on top!!! I understimated this guy and the fact that he went from a tank with a screen lid to THE TOP of my fridge means he was properly named. I added two more clips to his tank so now he has a total of four. If he gets out of that then im going to ad a deadbolt.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #58
braingarble
I know this is an old thread, but the same thing happened to me....with the same cage decoration/log hide. I purchase this from my local petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147241

Even though I could not figure out how my snake would have escaped, I started setting tape traps. After two days of this nonsense, I went with my instinct...I carefully drilled a small hole at the very top of the hide. After all the noise and moving around, she came slinking out of the bottom of the hide.....In the blue.

Needless to say, this item no longer resides in her vivarium. It is near impossible to see this hole/access without turning it upside down and on an angle.

Just wanted to let anyone know this was not a unique experience with this item, but looks more like a design flaw.

-braingarble

Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #59
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by braingarble View Post
I know this is an old thread, but the same thing happened to me....with the same cage decoration/log hide. I purchase this from my local petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147241

Even though I could not figure out how my snake would have escaped, I started setting tape traps. After two days of this nonsense, I went with my instinct...I carefully drilled a small hole at the very top of the hide. After all the noise and moving around, she came slinking out of the bottom of the hide.....In the blue.

Needless to say, this item no longer resides in her vivarium. It is near impossible to see this hole/access without turning it upside down and on an angle.

Just wanted to let anyone know this was not a unique experience with this item, but looks more like a design flaw.

-braingarble
Aw, that's too bad - it's a really cool looking hide and I was thinking of getting it just a couple days ago.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #60
wowfood
hah, I had one of these heart attack situations earlier in the week. Its actually the way I found this forum.

Somebody gave me the advice to put Snake in my pocket to get him used to me and vica versa. So I followed the advice and then got an IM from somebody. Responded, checked on snake still there. Got another IM responded looked down and my pocket was empty.

I checked under the bed, under cupboards behind the desk inside draws on shelves behind shelves inside my PC, I could not find them anywhere. My room got turned upside down (needed a cleaning anyway) and nothing. I was about to have a heart attack (My step dad was paranoid about him escaping) when I went and checked out stuff online for advice.

As I started typing I realised something, lifted my keyboard and there he was curled up beneath the keyboard, happy as a lamb. Little bugger.

I've had similar things in the past where I've opened the enclosure and he's gone, only to realise after stripping the thing clean he was coiled up tightly in the middle of a fake plant where I couldn't see him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, escaped, escapee