CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Canon 1200 D DSLR (T5, T6)

Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
DollysMom
I've never seen a green heron in person but I recognized it immediately. I like the first of this trio the best but they are all good, Karl. I've got to get out more with my camera!

Old 07-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
Yeah I'm starting to like this new T5, but it has been a learning curve to go from a Film SLR to a DSLR.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
DollysMom
True, Karl.

I have an advantage in that though I used several family member's film SLRs through the years, I never owned one of my own. I never knew the cameras so well they were second nature. The first time I picked up the DSLR, I was amazed at how different it was; but for me in a good easier to use way! Still, I'm thinking of signing up for a photography class this fall.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
Karl_Mcknight
Another thing I like about this camera, it has an adjustable viewfinder diopter to make up for my "Old Man Eyes" and it enables me to manually focus the camera without the need for glasses. Of course if somebody else looked through the viewfinder everything would probably look blurry.

Anyway, a few more pics from the Radnor Lake Historic park and wildlife refuge:

Pic 1. A view from Otter Creek Road. 20 years ago you could drive this road, but today it's slowly crumbling away and now too unsafe to drive on. It winds around the lake and pedestrians are allowed to walk it, but vehicles are no longer allowed. You can see part of the lake on the left through the trees. Camera Settings - Focal - 75mm, ISO - 100, Shutter - 1/200, F5.6, Manual Focus

Pic 2. Standing on top of the Dam and looking over part of the Lake. In the upper left there is an Osprey that was circling the lake looking for fish.
Focal - 75mm, ISO - 100, Shutter - 1/320, F7.1, Manual Focus

Pic 3. Looking across the lake from Otter Creek Road. I manually focused on the treeline on the opposite side of the lake. The trees are in clear focus, the shimmer on the water is slightly blurred. I thought it made for a nice picture.
Focal - 75mm, ISO - 100, Shutter - 1/250, F6.3

Pic 4. I came upon a Resting Buck this morning. I see deer out there all the time, but this is the first one I have seen on the ground like this. I was able to get about 60 feet away from him when I took this picture. He stood up and walked away right after.
Focal - 300mm, ISO - 3200, Shutter - 1/50, F5.6, No Flash, Manual Focus

Pic 5. One of the Baby Owls was screaming for his breakfast. I heard him in the trees and it took me several minutes to find him. The owls have become "Celebrities" of the park. 2 babies were born there this spring and we've literally watched them grow up. I only saw 1 this morning. He is a "Barred Owl" and is now almost as big as his parents, but still requires on them to bring him food. He will have to learn to hunt for himself soon. I was able to get about 100 feet away when I took this picture. Sadly, I'm not too pleased with the quality, it was just too dark under the trees to get a decent shot. Focal - 300mm, ISO - 3200, Shutter - 1/60, F5.6, no flash, Manual Focus

Old 07-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
DollysMom
Beautiful, Karl. Looks like you live in a part of paradise.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Karl_Mcknight
Pretty close to it.

I have lived in Kentucky, Virginia, New Jersey, New York and Tennessee and I can honestly say this is the most beautiful area I personally have ever lived in.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #17
Karl_Mcknight
Overcast and Stormy today at the lake

supposed to be a stormy day today in the Nashville area, the sky is very overcast, and I've been dodging rain drops.

This kind of weather does not deter a Great Blue Herron from flying overhead (Pic 1) or a Flock of Canadian Geese from "Honking" in for a landing on the water (Pic 2).

(Pic 3) I was able to sneak up behind a Cinnamon Backed Turkey Hen.

(Pic 4) I love the baby deer while they still have their spots

(Pic 5) I'll call this pic "Submerged log and Rain Drops"

All shots were taken with the 75mm to 300mm lens, all shots were at ISO 3200, and all shots were Manually focused. The aperture and shutter were both selected automatically by the camera.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
Karl_Mcknight
Examining "Focal Length"

Here is an illustration of Focal Length for those that are just learning or interested.

Here are 5 pictures, all taken from the exact same spot, and all focusing on the exact same spot. (I was focusing on the trees at the far end of the scenery). The only difference is Lens selection. Pic 1. Taken with the 18mm focal length. Pic 2. a 35mm, Pic 3. 50mm, Pic 4. 100mm, and Pic 5. the longest lens I have, a 300mm.

You can plainly see in the first 3 pictures, almost everything in the scene is in Focus. In the 4th and 5th pictures only the items I was actually aiming at are in focus. You can see for example in the last picture, the Trees in the back are in focus, but everything else is sort of blurry and out of focus. Even the lake in front of the trees is out of focus. I actually focused on that far treeline in all 5 of the pictures.

As focal length shortens, the scene gets wider and the focus is deeper. As the Lens gets longer, the scene narrows and the ability to focus usually becomes one specific spot.

There is a "trade off" or some "give and take" when selecting and choosing lenses. Up close photographs require a "Short Focal Length" giving you great depth of field, but in large scenes you see not specific items. Nature photos are generally taken with a long lens giving you the ability to zoom out and pull in a distant object, but you can't focus up close with that type of lens. Some folks opt for the "Happy Medium" and select a Mid Range lens hoping it will serve all their needs. A Typical Mid Range would be about 70mm. But in reality, there just isn't "One Lens" that will do it all. Most photographers have several lenses for specific purposes.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #19
Karl_Mcknight
More pics from Radnor Lake with the T5

Pic 1 - it's either Alvin, Simon or Theodore. I never can remember which is which. (300mm, 2500 ISO, 1/400 Shutter, f7.1)

Pic 2 - 2 of the babies. Ooops- one of them spotted me! (300mm, 3200 ISO, 1/60 Shutter, f5.6)

Pic 3 - The whole Duck'n Family (300mm, 640 ISO, 1/640 Shutter, f8)

Pic 4 - An American Bittern scanning the water for a fish (300mm, 320 ISO, 1/640 Shutter, f8)

Pic 5 - These guys give me the creeps. I usually walk through their webs and then freak out. Fortunately today, this girl made her web high in a tree. I just happened to look up and see her. Not sure what kind of spider she is specifically, I just call them "Garden Spiders." (270mm, 250 ISO, 1/500 Shutter, f8)

Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #20
Karl_Mcknight
Continued from above post.......

Pic 6 - An Eastern Kingbird that perched right over my head. (300mm, 100 ISO, 1/400 Shutter, f7.1)

Pic 7 - a Green Herron that caught a fish. I was able to snap the picture just seconds before he swallowed it. (300mm, 2000 ISO, 1/500 Shutter, f7.1)

Pic 8 - another Green Herron not so Lucky. Still looking for his meal. (300mm, 3200 ISO, 1/200 Shutter, f7.1)

Pic 9 - the Baby Owls are almost as big as their parents now. (300mm, 2000 ISO, 1/500 Shutter, f7.1)

Pic 10 - "Tom" the turkey was showing off in front of The Ladies this morning. Poor guy had no luck, they paid him no attention. I was ale to get abut 30 feet away when I took the pic, but he would not stand still, and I was in very dark conditions. Had to shoot without a tripod at 1/13 sec, so unfortunately the pic is a bit blurred. (120mm, 3200 ISO, 1/13 Shutter, f4.5)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google