CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Just wanna network and learn

Old 11-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
HoosierHeathen
Just wanna network and learn

Hello, I dont have a snake but I definitely wanna learn a LOT more before I get one. I live in East Central Indiana. I would love to hear from others in this area, especially breeders. I have very limited experience with snakes, but I do know from those experiences that I do want a corn snake.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
Hello and welcome!! Corns are a great choice! Do you know what color or pattern you're interested in, yet?

-Tonya

Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
HoosierHeathen
Lol that's the worst part... I find pictures of what I think I like but then I try to google what I thought I wanted just to see other types show up. Or I am just looking the wrong way... lol dunno. I dont think i want one from a pet store, but cant seem to find a breeder in my area yet. I wld rather get the snake in person and not shipped.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Oh, Google is terrible for showing accurate morphs. Check out iansvivarium.com if you want to see better (and more) examples of any specific morph. Unfortunately I don't know of any breeders in that area. My first snake was purchased from a local breeder and I always recommend that option if it's available, but if it's not, having a snake shipped is really not a big deal! There are lots of interesting morphs available at all different price points over on faunaclassifieds.com and morphmarket.com. Morph market also has a reviews function, so I definitely recommend you read reviews of anyone you might think of buying from. Since you're a first time owner, I would try to find someone that doesn't mind answering questions for you. Some of the bigger names breeders are too busy to have lots of back and forth, so finding a good smallish-medium breeder would probably be your best bet.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
HoosierHeathen
Thanks for that input. I think it was helpful, I have learned more, but I still dont know the difference between a buckskin okeetee and a masque het charcoal sunkissed motley, but I think I def know I want one of these two if either is actually what I think they might be lol

Old 11-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
A buckskin okeetee is a locality corn snake. They should have nice thick black borders, and then their other colors should be in the sandy browns/oranges family. Okeetees are pretty popular because people love those thick borders.

A masque het charcoal sunkissed motley will only visually look masque. Any genes after the word 'het' refer to genes that the snake is only carrying one copy of (and not expressing). So if you're not planning on breeding, the het charcoal, het is sunkissed, and het motley won't matter because they don't affect the look of the snake. Masque corn snakes look only slightly different than normal corn snakes. They generally have a reduced head pattern (it often looks like a skull pattern) and they'll have belly checkers that are pushed to the sides of the belly. Masque also can have a bit of a hypo effect, so they may be a bit brighter than a normal.

Hope that cleared it up at least a little bit for you!

Old 11-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
HoosierHeathen
Lol, yes and no. It does clear up some stuff ( that's way beyond me at the moment). I dont plan on breeding.
Can u tell me why the snakes on this link are all different colors if they are all supposed to be carolina/normal?
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/?m=normal

Old 11-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
Normals can have quite a wide variety of colors. And they also often go through quite a change from baby to adult. Most baby normal corns are kind of a brown, tan, a little bit of orange combo, but as they grow, they can gain a lot of color. If you're wanting a specific look, you may need to go with a yearling or subadult so you can have a good idea of what they'll end up looking like.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
HoosierHeathen
Good call, I didnt realize they changed that much from hatchling to adult. So if I was looking for a snake that looked like the hatchling in the first pic on that link (bright orange head with brown/reddish- brown saddles with a black outline with a tan to gray colored body), wld that be more of a buckskin okeetee?
P.s. thank you so much for your feedback and information.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
hypnoctopus
I wouldn't consider that one a buckskin okeetee. It's a very stunning normal. If you prefer those colors, try looking for Abbott's okeetees. They will have more of that brighter coloration as well as thick black borders.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google