CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Double clutch? Gravid female?

Old 08-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
zoecornsnake101
Smile Double clutch? Gravid female?

Hi all… I recently purchased this female from MorphMarket about 2 weeks ago. She is an amel corn snake, hatched in 2016. She was paired this spring, and laid about 5-6 weeks ago according to previous owner/seller. He also stated she double clutched in 2019 and 2020. Is there a possibility this will happen again based on her past seasons? I heard double clutching is very hard on a female, and I wonder if shipping will effect this/her laying. Attached are images of when I got her, and she obviously hasn’t been handled since. I offered her a lay box with spaghnum moss just in case. I’m new to this so bear with me. She hasn’t had a pre-lay shed to my knowledge, and she isn’t in blue. Do these images make her appear gravid?

Old 08-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #2
MysticExotics
She could be, or she may be a little overweight.
If she is gravid, you likely have 3 maybe 4 weeks before she wqould lay her 2nd clutch.
They usually lay the second clutch about the time the first clutch hatches.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
zoecornsnake101
Still no pre lay shed, ate yesterday just fine… does this mean she’s not likely gravid or could there still be time left? Just wondering because I think most still eat up until their pre lay shed… she’s ravenous and is eating twice a week no issue. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
Shiari
As stated, she should lay around the same time the first clutch hatches, which is usually between 60 and 70 days after being laid. That's the timeline you're looking for.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #5
zoecornsnake101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
As stated, she should lay around the same time the first clutch hatches, which is usually between 60 and 70 days after being laid. That's the timeline you're looking for.

Ohh okay thank you! Sorry I just don’t know the specific date from the prior owner and he doesn’t know. Ugh. He just said about 40-45 days ago. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
zoecornsnake101
I *believe* at this point in time she is in fact gravid. When I look at her, there is a signficiant lump above her tail that has been there for about 48-72 hours now. I haven't been handling her now. (Ignore the fact there's no lid on the lay box in the photo, she pushed it up). Just wanted thoughts on this lump.... its too large to be poop, right? She also just looks lumpy in general. She was cruising around for a couple days but has now settled down in her lay box. Do they ever go without a pre-lay shed? Espically with a second clutch? Thanks!!

Old 08-31-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
zoecornsnake101
I *believe* at this point in time she is in fact gravid. When I look at her, there is a signficiant lump above her tail that has been there for about 48-72 hours now. I haven't been handling her now. (Ignore the fact there's no lid on the lay box in the photo, she pushed it up). Just wanted thoughts on this lump.... its too large to be poop, right? She also just looks lumpy in general. She was cruising around for a couple days but has now settled down in her lay box. Do they ever go without a pre-lay shed? Espically with a second clutch? Thanks!!

Old 08-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
LyraFamily
One of our gals double clutched on 8/26 (was not rebred but laid an additional 18 eggs anyway) and then went blue on 8/28; so, yes, they definitely can lay before shedding. She double clutched exactly 60 days from laying her first batch of 30.

I should mention, though, that she went off feed for 3-4 weeks prior to laying the second clutch.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I have one female I produced (now owned by a friend) that double clutches pretty much every year, without re-pairing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google