CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

New snake, how does he look?

Old 07-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
waldo
New snake, how does he look?

Just picked this guy up today. He(she?) is 40.76 inches and 250 grams, is missing a little of its tail. Is at least 2 years, probably closer to three.

How do you think he looks? I think he needs some more weight and enough food to grow proper.

stubby tail

Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I may be wrong, but it appears to me the tip of his tail is gone. Most corn snakes that I've been around don't end that bluntly.

His eyes appear cloudy. Perhaps he is going "Blue" or maybe has cataracts. Or maybe it's just the lighting in the room.

He appears to be a "Normal to me" and in relatively good shape otherwise.

You stated he Looked "Underweight." I don't know, he seems ok to me.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
waldo
Yes, his tail tip is missing. He just shed, in fact I had to soak him to get the last bit of skin off his neck. I think it's just the lighting but I'll double check he doesn't have retained eye caps.

Maybe I'm just used to how big my last boy was, not fat but always nicely rounded.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
MysticExotics
"Just shed" how recently? Looks like the snake is in the clear phase. Does the snake have any injuries? Sometimes they will shed back to back if something is wrong, like an injury.
The end of the tail could be missing due to a series of bad sheds, that maybe the shed wasn't coming off, causing the tail to go necrotic, and falling of.

Do you know the history on this snake? Sometimes WC (wild caught) snakes can look like they're in rough shape for a while.

He could use an extra meal or two, but he doesn't look too thin.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
waldo
I really don't know. The pictures I saw yesterday he looked more blue and a little dry. I assumed the skin on his neck was from shedding last night but it makes more sense its from his previous molt and he is in clear phase right now.

If the old owner was that bad about retained shed, it would explain his tail. It would also explain why he looks so oddly dull to me.
If never had or even been around a normal before, not sure how bright the colors should be. My last corn was a very orange amel, I only got one day of blue before he shed.

Only history I know is the kid I got him from had him for two years and he didn't know how long the previous owner had the snake. I don't know who had possession of him when he lost the tail bit.
I do know he ate Monday and I want to feed him again so bad.

No injuries, lumps or bumps. I gave him a good look over in the tub. I live in Idaho, not WC. Most likely from petco.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
Corning
Congratulations on your new snake. I think it’s great you rescued him/ her.
I probably wouldn’t feed him more than weekly.
Post a new picture after he sheds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
waldo
Thanks, it's great to have a snake in the house again. Pretty sure I know why he had shed issues. I just went through the bag of supplies and his water bowl is tiny, like under 8 oz tiny.
He has a great big water dish now and a humid hide that he's been in since last night. Hope he sheds soon, I want to see his new skin!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google