CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Any one know how much it would cost to care for two corn snakes

Old 07-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Triple M
Any one know how much it would cost to care for two corn snakes

I want to get a second corn if I could but I want to know if anyone knows an estimate for how much it would cost monthly. I just kind of want to see if I could afford another snake because 1 corn is just not enough.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Jdog3131
Ok well for me every month I pay $2.00 for feeders(from a breeder that sells them when he has to many)I use rodent aspen(cheaper then reptile)8 cubic feet for $20.00 and that between my sisters' guinea pigs and my snakes lasts 1.5 months(about)and then there is the electricity.But of course you would need the new cage. And it can be anywhere from 40ish dollars to thousands of dollars.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Calift
Why don't you take the cost of your first corn snake and then multiply it by 2?

But honestly, check craigslist for used equipment and use local breeders for feeders. I do believe that if you question whether you can afford it ... you probably shouldn't. Everyone should have an emergency savings plan that will last them 8 months.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Triple M
I thought of that but I couldn't remember exactly how much I paid.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
atmox
If pay €2 a week for substrate and mice. But my set up was somewhat expensive, let's say a total of €450 for viv,plants, hide, heat, herpstat,....

Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Riyeko
Well I currently own two yearling, anery cornsnakes named Avery and Kanoi.
Precious little tubbies that they are, they do cost money like any other animal lol.

Lets see...
Ill go ground up...

The paper towels for the basis, we buy the non-inked ones that are store brand, bout $5-6. And they came in the huge bulk package... like six for one price kind of thing.
The aspen bedding that I use (i use it only in one area of the tank, under their hides/above their heaters, so they have one place to burrow and its easier to clean up with the paper towels in there as well), and I buy a 5lb bag of that for about $7-8.

I just got two brand new under tank heaters and a rhetostat (hopefully i spelled that right), and all of that together was about $42 plus shipping.

We buy bottled water for the snakes from walmart, and we get the store brand (which is Sams club, great value or best choice i cant remember), and a very large package (i think its 24?) runs about $6.

The water dishes are some heavy duty tupperware that we got for $7 for four of them, but the cornsnakes arent as heavy as they will be in the future, and we will be upgrading their water dishes when applicable.
We are thinking about buying some heavy glass bowls, and those run about $3-4 each.

The hides for the snakes are the most interesting and unusual out of all of our snakes care items.
They are meant for growing plants in, as theyre made of that destructable "cardboard" since the plants in them will "eat" the material.
They never get wet and have been good so far (providing a nice dark space).
They were on sale for 8 for $8, otherwise they would have been $15.
Before we got these cool hides our snakes were hiding under cardboard pieces id folded in half.

(I do want to point out that others here reading my post that might frown on my hides for my snakes, those are not permanent. Theyve only been in there a month, and we are going up to the KC Reptile Expo on Sunday of this week, and will be getting more "appropriate" hides for them).

But those are all the costs that ive encrued.

I also own a red tailed boa, so that ups things as well.
I also have two adorable domestic short haired cats, a blue heeler/border collie mix and various hamsters, rats and mice lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
solo1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calift View Post
Why don't you take the cost of your first corn snake and then multiply it by 2?

But honestly, check craigslist for used equipment and use local breeders for feeders. I do believe that if you question whether you can afford it ... you probably shouldn't. Everyone should have an emergency savings plan that will last them 8 months.
I sort of have to agree here. The emergency savings part is argumentative. Some say 3 months, some 6, some a year or more. But if you have to question whether you can afford to care for a second corn snake you probably shouldn't get another right now. After initial set up expenses, a second corn should run well under $10 per month to maintain, probably even less than $5. That's assuming you buy feeders in bulk, otherwise you'll be spending way more in just feeders alone.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Triple M
Thanks for the input and I probally will save money up over the next year and see where that gets me. I won't get a second corn for at least a year.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Lennycorn
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog3131 View Post
I use rodent aspen(cheaper then reptile)8 cubic feet for $20.00
Where do you get that from??
Good price!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
Thanks for the input and I probally will save money up over the next year and see where that gets me. I won't get a second corn for at least a year.
I certainly recommended checking craigslist for tanks and stuff too. There is a good bit that gets posted on our local.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing and waiting until you are ready.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google