CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Help me buy a lens please!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
Added Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 to my wish list. As soon as I get my refund from the other camera I'll probably be getting this. It's a hundred dollars more than the f/1.8. However it has a focus ring and from viewing examples of pictures taken with both. I liked the ones with the f/1.4 better.
Just out of curiosity why are you planning on getting a 50mm when your zoom lens covers that range?

Do you shoot a lot in low light?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
WingedSweetheart
I got it because it was smaller really. I should have got the body and lens separately. I use the smaller one much more when taking pictures of my frogs.

I'm new to all the different lens and flashes and I'm trying to learn. That is why I asked for some advice.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
HeavenHell
The f/1.4 and f/1.8 are equally sharp when stopped down a bit. The f/1.4 is built better (f/1.8 is plastic) but also has a fairly high rate of focus motor failures which is pretty unique for Canon lenses.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
SquamishSerpents
My 50mm is one of my very favorite lenses. You absolutely cannot go wrong with it! Good choice on upgrading to a DSLR, too!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
My 50mm is one of my very favorite lenses. You absolutely cannot go wrong with it! Good choice on upgrading to a DSLR, too!
I shoot Nikon but the 50mm f/1.8 is sharp as a tack and a fantastic lens, but I wouldn't carry both a 50mm prime and a zoom that covered it around unless I was shooting in low light and needed the 1.8.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
I got it because it was smaller really. I should have got the body and lens separately. I use the smaller one much more when taking pictures of my frogs.

I'm new to all the different lens and flashes and I'm trying to learn. That is why I asked for some advice.
Is it still wish listed or did you buy it already?

I'm just not sure that a 50mm prime is going to give you anything your 18-55mm isnt already, unless you have a need for low-light shooting.

I'd suggest you'd be better off with an external flash or (since it seems like you macro work) pick yourself up a used macro lens.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
WingedSweetheart
My mom has a ton of different lens and flashes with her old canon (it's a film camera). The flashes work on my new camera even though her's is about as old as me (I'm 27). I'm curious if her lenses will work too. I'm going to try them out and see.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #18
SquamishSerpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14 View Post
I shoot Nikon but the 50mm f/1.8 is sharp as a tack and a fantastic lens, but I wouldn't carry both a 50mm prime and a zoom that covered it around unless I was shooting in low light and needed the 1.8.

Personally, I wouldn't carry the 18-55mm kit lens at all. It is cheaply made, poor at autofocusing, and overall it is utter crap.

So I'm still voting for the 50mm, lol. If you want a zoom lens I'd forgo the kit lens completely and purchase body-only. That way you're not paying for the crap kit lens and you can put your money into either an external flash, a macro lens, or a zoom lens.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
WingedSweetheart
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't carry the 18-55mm kit lens at all. It is cheaply made, poor at autofocusing, and overall it is utter crap.

So I'm still voting for the 50mm, lol. If you want a zoom lens I'd forgo the kit lens completely and purchase body-only. That way you're not paying for the crap kit lens and you can put your money into either an external flash, a macro lens, or a zoom lens.
I was thinking of selling the lens I got with the camera. I like the little 50mm a lot better. I'll also be getting a macro lens because I love taking macro shots. All my little critters look so much better in macro!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Joejr14
Quote:

I can't speak to Canon, but the Nikon 18-55 kit lens is far from 'utter crap'. It's actually a fantastic lens that's very sharp for what it is.

I just bought a 28-80 lens because I needed something for full frame, and I spent $53. The 50mm prime I have was given to me (costs about $75) and it's tack sharp. Many of the older AF lenses are tack sharp....and cheap. With older lenses cost does not always equal crap lenses.

That being said, it could be totally different for Canon. My point was there's really no need for a 18-55mm zoom and a 50mm prime if you don't have a specific need for low light photography. The zoom lens is fine for 99% of photographers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google