CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake has died. Post-mortem exam?

Old 08-27-2021, 01:20 AM   #1
Razzle
Snake has died. Post-mortem exam?

Hello. I am a 2nd yr corn snake breeder and I am experiencing several of my snakes go on what I thought was a good strike. Then I began to notice a couple have become very lethargic and began to noticeably lose weight. I then gathered two of them and took them to a reptile vet to have them looked at. Vet saw no apparent issues. She the took a fecal sample to check for internal parasites. She finally called a week later and told me the fecal sample was too small and the test was inconclusive. Which brings me to this point. While doing my daily check I opened a yearling’s enclosure and to my horror he was dead. My question is: Should I take the dead snake to the vet tomorrow for a post-mortem exam? And if so, how do I prepare the body till tomorrow’s vet visit? I need to find out what is happening before any others fall to this illness. Temp was 80 degrees, humidity 55%, aspen bedding, always clean water checked every day. Diet: 1 f/t fuzzy weekly.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:12 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Yes, definitely. Put him in the fridge to slow decomposition, not the freezer. I'm sorry to hear you're having health issues with your snakes.

In case she doesn't see this thread, send a message to username Shiari. She knows her stuff and will be able to give you some good input.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
post mortom exam?