CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Easy tip for better outdoor pics...

Old 01-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
carol
Easy tip for better outdoor pics...

This one is REAL obvious, but I'll post it anyway just in case there are others out there like me that don't always see the obvious. If works great for indoors too.
Choose your your background and focus the camera to the background BEFORE you ever get your snake out. Experiment a little with different settings. This gives you a chance to really get things in great focus in a stress free environment. If you've tried taking outdoor pics, you know it can be compete ciaos. I don't know how many times I've tried to focus on a snake while it slithers away. Fine tuning your camera and taking a few pics of the background ahead of time saves quite a bit of frustration.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Rich Z
Here's another tip that may not be real obvious to a lot of people.

Even outdoors, still use your flash. This is what is known as "fill flash". Taking photos in bright sunlight can often produce very stark looking shadows. The flash will help to fill those in and soften up the contrast a bit to make the photo a bit more pleasing to the eye.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Joejr14
Dunno, that's why the wonders of Digital SLR cameras are so great.

I really don't miss much, anymore. Tongue shots are so common now, it's not a big deal. With my previous piece of crap 2.0mp olympus, it was a miracle. The camera took a good 10 seconds to recycle, and I was missing a lot. Not to mention it wasn't intelligent enough to balance the flash strength like the Nikon does.

Honestly, in the 500 or so pictures I've taken since owning the camera, I honestly can say that I have not taken one 'bad' picture. I've had some out of focus, but nothing just BAD. With the Olympus at least half of my attempted pictures were 'garbage' pictures.

But anyway, onto the topic at hand. Rich is absolutely right, most people don't know to use a flash outdoors. Big mistake not to use the flash outdoors.

Maybe Thursday I'll get my butt outside and take some pictures. I also want to do some test shots to show people what Rich has been harping about for all this time---depth of field.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
carol
That's great for you Joe. However, it's still nice to share tips to help us "little people" make due with what we have until our budget can allow something better.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
That's great for you Joe. However, it's still nice to share tips to help us "little people" make due with what we have until our budget can allow something better.

Aw hey, I remember the dark days. Might I also suggest that you try to keep your foreground and background as non-complex as possible. When you have hundreds of things to potentially focus on it can become a real challenge, no matter how expensive the camera is.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
PssdffJay
Another tip i learned in school for indoor (i know off topic but...) if there are lamps in the room that are on, to get better light, take the lamp shades off. It gives you more light and a fuller effect with better shadowing.

And for those who are limited budget wise, the best tip I can think of, take lots and lots of pictures! Chances are you will get a few really good pictures that are worth keeping. Plus with digital, no processing fees! So take lots!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google