CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Pine snake in the yard

Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Ravenessa
adorable yes but a little scary yes.. lol

Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
daddio207
I have a soft spot for pituophis. I was at a show in PA (lots of hot's) a few decades ago to purchase a pair of Frillies and noticed a bag moving under a table. I asked what was in it and the vender opened the bag and pulled out an adult male bull snake. He said he caught it crossing the highway leaving Texas on the way to the show. He offered it to me for $25 which I accepted. My plan was to return him to his home state someday. That day never came and Tex lived with me for almost 20 years. I guessed the he had to be at last 4 or 5 years old when caught making him around 25 when he passed. RIP Tex....
I have a very nice pair of leucistics (thanks to Zorro for the girl) and a very large gopher/pine that is the sweetest snake. You can pet her head like a dog and she seems to like it LOL.
Floridians are so lucky to see so many herps in the wild. I did come across a nice adult garter snake in the yard only to find her run over in the road a few days later

Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Rich Z
When I lived in Maryland I used to go up into the New Jersey pine barrens fairly often and it wasn't at all unusual to find pine snakes. Most of them were pretty docile even right out of the wild. But there was one that got right pissy with me, but certainly my fault. I had walked into a clearing among the pine trees just in time to spot the last half of a big pine snake crawling into the bushes on the far side. So I launched myself after it and got there just in time to grab him by the tail and yank him back into the clearing before he could vanish. That was NOT a happy snake after being treated like that!

Back in Pete Kahl's younger days I took him up into the NJ pine barrens to show him around. I had my Bronco back then, and we were driving around on one of the uncountable unmarked sand roads up there. Pete asked me if I had ever found a pine snake just crossing the road, and I told him, no, never seen that. Of course it wasn't more than 10 seconds later that we saw a big pine snake crossing the road right in front of us. So Pete got to catch his first pine snake. I believe he just released it again, but I honestly can't remember.

Interesting bit of pine snake trivia here. From what I have been told, New Jersey had some sort of program where they had collectors going out to collect pine snake eggs and gravid females. They would take the eggs, release the females, and incubate the eggs to hatching. Then would take the babies and release them back into the wild, kind of a headstart program. Well rumor has it that the first albino northern pines hatched for someone involved with this program, and apparently those albinos never made it back into the wild, for some reason....

Old 08-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
daddio207
Interesting piece of trivia ! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Great reads

Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Ravenessa
Is that true or not? lol

Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #16
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenessa View Post
Is that true or not? lol
The "pine snake trivia"? Best of my knowledge, yes it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google