CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

???What am I???

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
snakemom1961
Man!!! I live in michigan and all I've ever found near me are garter snakes. I'd love to find a milk, black rat or fox snake. Awesome find.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
lyfeoverdeath
absolutely an Eastern Milk.i love em'. there are a S.O.B. to try to find while herping!!! but an even bigger task is to find a fox snake. they're a Species of concern in most of their range if not all of it.damn shame. fox snakes have was more orange and red or yellow in their pattern.thanks for the pic! very cool in situ. photo!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #13
caz223
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemom1961 View Post
Man!!! I live in michigan and all I've ever found near me are garter snakes. I'd love to find a milk, black rat or fox snake. Awesome find.
It's all in where you look for them.
If you look in fields around streams and ponds, you'll find garters.
If you look in dense woods, you'll find black rats.
If you look in mostly sandy ground, you'll find hognoses.
Etc, etc.
It's also muich easier to find them, if you give them artificial cover, and come back for them next year.
Snakes love old metal siding just laid on top of grass near a pole barn.
Anything that may harbor mice and such, but is too hard for birds, and animals like raccoons and such to get under.
It helps to have an assistant to flip it while you stand ready to grab what comes out. Just be ready for whatever might be under there.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #14
caz223
Racers just love a 8' piece of siding with a heavy board nailed to it, half in and half out of water in a pond or stream.
Turtles like it, too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google