CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Copperhead in the barn.........How do we handle this??!!?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #81
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Not the way I hold tools. I don't know how other people hold their garden tools but I can stand at the end of a push broom and sweep or push with the entire length of the handle between myself and the snake. In order to dispatch it with a hoe I need to hold the handle closer in to about halfway point to have any leverage, thus cutting the distance between myself and the snake by half as compared to the broom. If I wanted to use a shovel, I would pretty much have to stand right by the snake's head.
The first sentence made me laugh.
But for your last sentence, (I) wouldn't have to stand next to the snake, I could swing it overhead and cull the snake with on blow.

But believe they had to do what they had to do to protect the young childred and live stock. Maybe next time it will go better for the snake.
But if I were in there shoes not knowing how to handle hots...
I would to cull it be for it harm my children.
You don't get to many seconds chances with hots.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #82
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Very noble, but you don't have kids.... Do you...
I don't know if I have kids or not

Old 08-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #83
knox
Good discussions all around...

Snakemaster24 - I applaud your love for animals, I really do. I love them as well. But there is a balance between people and animals.

No hard feelings...

Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #84
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Very noble, but you don't have kids.... Do you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
Good discussions all around...

Snakemaster24 - I applaud your love for animals, I really do. I love them as well. But there is a balance between people and animals.

No hard feelings...
None taken, I feel that balance should be more equal but each to his own.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #85
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
I don't know if I have kids or not
Dirty boy.....
We'll have no potty mouth innuendos around here, I'll have you know..

Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #86
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by xreinx View Post
I live in alaska, I worked for naturalists, do you know what I did for them? I guarded them from bears. some of them think as you do, but a vast majority thought human life was more important.
But they do not shoot the bear on site. You didnt kill a bear because it was ignoring you at 100 yards. You backed up slowly and left the area.

Quote:
snakes are important, all animals are important, yes. but so is human life. if that snake wasent in the barn, Im sure they would have left it alone.. but it was IN the barn, WITH the kids.. how is that Not dire? (this out of a person that works with scared and frightened dogs, (been bitten 3 times in the last 7 years none of the bites were dire (nearly lost the tip of a finger during one of those bites BUT.. no venom was involved) it isnt dire until its dire, a childs life is more important then a snakes. im glad your for the snake, I would be too. IF it wasent so close to those kids.
I agree that a Child's life is more important than the snake's, will never disagree with any one. But the children left the Barn and got someone who killed the snake. The children were not in danger. The snake left them alone, probably didnt strike but probably sat there. And again, was it a copperhead? To many people freak think other species are copperheads.
I have been in this hobby longer than most here. I have been working with animals and have done rescues and rehabs.

And the sad part is David is approaching this Conversation logically and with passion. He is looking at the big picture and you people are attacking him. To be honest, i think David is growing to be a good man, he will be the type of herper who will talk to his kids about the animals and to back away and leave them alone or get him and he will move the animal.

And David, Mike does have kids, they are all biters though.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #87
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
But they do not shoot the bear on site. You didnt kill a bear because it was ignoring you at 100 yards. You backed up slowly and left the area.

I agree that a Child's life is more important than the snake's, will never disagree with any one. But the children left the Barn and got someone who killed the snake. The children were not in danger. The snake left them alone, probably didnt strike but probably sat there. And again, was it a copperhead? To many people freak think other species are copperheads.
I have been in this hobby longer than most here. I have been working with animals and have done rescues and rehabs.

And the sad part is David is approaching this Conversation logically and with passion. He is looking at the big picture and you people are attacking him. To be honest, i think David is growing to be a good man, he will be the type of herper who will talk to his kids about the animals and to back away and leave them alone or get him and he will move the animal.

Thanks Jim. And don't insult my children. They are just troubled.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #88
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post

The kids could play in the barn/hay and get bit latter.
it's a 50/50 call here I think, being in there shoes at the time.

As for the logically call... passion and matured yea but not alway logically.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #89
VickyChaiTea
You're all talking about encountering a venomous snake as only having two options. Kill it, or leave it alone.

John 3:16, do an internet search for people who capture and relocate wild animals in your area, wildlife rehabilitators, veterinarians, and even local pet stores can sometimes help you get into contact with these people. Keep in mind that they may be willing to travel, so even if they're located out of town you may have some luck.

That way, the next time you encounter a venomous snake you can call them if it's an emergency and the snake needs to go! Or, practice methods of handling snakes without getting bit by trying it on your own snakes. The broom handle/trash can method is an easy one.

As far as the ethics of this whole thing, my thoughts are this.

First, we are going into the territory of a wild animal who is just trying to survive. Under no circumstances should anyone assume that just because an animal can kill you that it is out to get you. In the case of venomous snakes, if you get bit, it is your fault. Even if you were wandering around and stepped on it by accident, if you are in an area were dangerous snakes are known to live you should be extremely careful, if not avoid the area all together.

Second, as an animal venomous snakes deserve a chance at life. They are beneficial to ecosystems. Because of this, relocation is almost always the best option. If you are trained in the handling of dangerous snakes and are confident in your skills, then relocating it by yourself would be great assuming you have an area were the snake can go were it will not come into contact with humans in the foreseeable future. If you are not trains in the handling of dangerous snakes, get into contact with someone who is and have them remove the snake.

Now, nether of those are ALWAYS an option but more often than not they ARE, and I think people should keep that in mind.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #90
knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post

In the case of venomous snakes, if you get bit, it is your fault. Even if you were wandering around and stepped on it by accident, if you are in an area were dangerous snakes are known to live you should be extremely careful, if not avoid the area all together.
How do you avoid a barn that you own and work in all the time, or a back yard that your children play in?

Is it my fault for stepping on a snake that I didn't see when stepping off my back porch?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google